PDA

View Full Version : Rotax Overhaul

Timed~Out
11th Jan 2011, 09:15
I am currently Class A PPL but the ever increasing costs are giving me a headache and I feel microlights are the best way forward for me. I`m not looking anything expensive to get started, probably a Xair or similar which I reckon I can pick up around £5k. Could anyone give me an approx cost for maintenance and overhaul costs for a 582 engine? I am getting conflicting information and don`t fancy a huge bill just after splashing out for an aircraft, the wife would not be pleased!!:hmm:

A and C
11th Jan 2011, 14:54
You can't get a Rotax overhauled, you send them back to the factory for exchange, the last quote I had for 912A with a form 1 was IRO £18K.

To put that in perspective a Lycoming O-235 for a Cessna 152 factory remanufacture costs about £14K landed in the UK.

IO540
11th Jan 2011, 15:12
That's an interesting comparison.

I was led to believe you can get a Rotax overhauled for £20.

Timed~Out
11th Jan 2011, 15:24
A and C - please tell me you have forgotten to put a decimal point in between the 1 and the 8 of those figures!!:eek:

Am I right in thinking that I could realistically buy a Xair or similar off AFORS for around £5k and then be looking at a bill just waiting around the corner of £18k?

I thought microlights were a cheaper way to fly but this makes renting the club PA28 look quite attractive...

Rhayader
11th Jan 2011, 15:37
The most expensive 582 retails at $7826 new. About £5000 plus shipping.

EDMJ
11th Jan 2011, 15:55
A and C - please tell me you have forgotten to put a decimal point in between the 1 and the 8 of those figures!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

The Rotax 912A is an 80/100 hp certified, 4-cylinder, four-stroke engine, while the 582 is 65 hp, uncertified, two-stroke engine, so you can't compare the overhaul/replacement costs.

Moreover, I think authorized local service centers can also remanufacture/overhaul a Rotax engine and you don't need to send them all the way back to Austria for that.

Timed~Out
11th Jan 2011, 17:08
EDMJ - thanks for that clarification, I`m new to the whole microlight scene and learning fast. I assume then that an aircraft with a 582 engine can be maintained/repaired locally by the authorised people.

This sounds like a more realistic way to fly on a budget.:ok:

CT Aviation
11th Jan 2011, 18:10
582 Overhaul to rotax schedule is in the region of £2300. This includes new crankshaft, all seals etc. I would avoid anything that has a rebuilt crank as Rotax forbid the rebuilding of cranks as they are a pressed together unit.

Chris Theakstone

Jan Olieslagers
11th Jan 2011, 18:20
FWIW - and realising there's a lot of confusion already, more than wanted, like as not - the 4-stroke Rotaxen (912, 912S, 914) exist as certified AND non-certified. Could it be only the certified breed can only be declared "overhauled" by the factory?

magpienja
11th Jan 2011, 18:48
Rotax say replace the crank in a 2 stroke at 300hrs but its up to you, there is a testing tool that fits in the spark plug hole to check for wear on the crank journals a 5 min job....I have one for my Rotax 503, you can test every 10 hrs or whatever to keep an eye on things.

Most people think the 300hr and replace is very very conservative, Rotax also say to de-coke every 50 hrs but most people owners think 100hrs is more realistic with modern 2 stroke oil, a de-coke should cost around £2-300....if you deem yourself competent you can do it yourself....I do my own, there are some very good step by step DVDs available showing how to take these engines completely apart and re-build with all specs and tools req,

The cost of a completely new 582 is around £3000....not the end of the world....make sure your sitting down when you ask the price of a brand new motor for a 172....a 582 crank at a guess £700.

Nick.

Timed~Out
11th Jan 2011, 20:17
Thanks for the responses so far - I must admit the first quote of £18k scared me a little bit, especially on a £5k hull!! I would imagine in an engine like this, components can be replaced so unless something has gone drastically wrong I shouldn`t need to budget for an entire engine replacement, or am I being naive? perhaps the labour cost negates the bigger cost of replacement though..:hmm:

chawk
29th Jan 2011, 19:49
I do know the guys at Norvichttp://Norvic.com (http://norvic.com/) can shock load Rotax engines off experimental aircraft. Otherwise I dont know. Ive just had my TCM O-300D overhauled by Norvic and I have to say a great job, done on budget and within time.

pembroke
30th Jan 2011, 08:12
You could try "Skydrive", Southam, not far from Leamington Spa. I have about 850hrs sitting in front or behind Rotax, both air and watercooled and never so much as a cough. The key is good routine maintenance and the BMAA could help or go and have a chat with a microlight club, or owner operating your specific aircraft.

microlightgary
2nd Feb 2011, 17:22
Timed~Out, try a speculative post on the BMAA Forum (http://forums.bmaa.org/) You'll find them very welcoming and will have access to a lot of folks with knowledge about owning/operating an aircraft at the more affordable end of the market.

If you have an ounce of mechanical ability you'll be staggered at how much cheaper it is to operate a microlight - even if you don't it's still very cheap indeed. Yes, 2-strokes can and do occasionally fail, but considering the possibility will be a factor in your flight planning and the unconcious risk assessment that we all carry out when deciding to fly over inhospitable terrain etc.
I think you'll find that in most instances a safe landing is made and for those that don't there are rarely serious injuries as a consequence; probably attributable to a microlight's short landing capability, low stall speed and low inertia.
And for what it's worth, with a budget of £5K you might want to try a Shadow - I've owned both and the Shadow knocks spots off the X-Air in every regard except passenger space.