PDA

View Full Version : The Tiger Club

Tiger_ Moth
7th Jun 2001, 23:47
I`ve been reading Lewis Benjamin`s book about the Tiger Club. It seems a great club!
I`ve looked up their website too and the rates seem quite reasonable, especially £40/hr Turbulents! In the book it seems they all do at lot of displays and stuff, but that was in the 60s. Does anyone know if the club still puts on displays, and could a ppl participate in them, if the club let them, unpaid of course? Thatd be great! mock dogfights and balloon busting! Crazy flying looks a bit dangerous though! Anyone seen that picture of Benjamin in a Moth, 3ft from the ground pointing straight down? Also if you are flying on club business, eg in a display do they still give you a better, cheaper rate? O, and I know you need at least a 100 hours to join.
Woops, i should have put this on the private flying forum! Hope someone replies.....

Mr moto
9th Jun 2001, 01:15
And a PPL!

Tiger_ Moth
9th Jun 2001, 01:48
eh moto? They dont do ppls on moths, I know that for sure, maybe on a piper cub or something though

Vmike
9th Jun 2001, 03:34
The Tiger Club is good fun. You can check out in a Tiger Moth, and a Stampe for aeros, and do formation in the Turbs. As a PPL you can join the Turb team and do airshows, if they think you are good enough. You won't get paid for it but at £40 an hour, who cares? Try it, you'll like it.

Mr moto
11th Jun 2001, 01:53
Just trying to encourage you!
Back to previous threads on the Private Flying forum about your wanting to learn on a Tiger. I can only reiterate what you have been advised before.
Get your licence as cheaply as possible and then do what you want to do.
The Tiger Club, as was in the 70's, is the what got me excited about flying.
I had to get my licence on a Spam-can but I got it quickly and didn't pay to fly one for a long time afterwards.
I fly for a living and still fly proper aeroplanes in my spare time, also at TC.
You may be interested in a video 'The Tiger's Tale'. Lots of good Mothing.

Mycroft
11th Jun 2001, 02:26
Unfortunately the air display component of the Tiger Club (Diamond Nine) dispanded last year due to age of pilots and airframes (average age of each over 60), and at one of their last displays (at Duxford) one of them was u/s and if it hadn't been fixed overnight , would have been replaced in the display by a Swordfish (latter took off with them in formation but displayed seperately). Duxford have a Tiger Moth for hire, but its probably the most expensive in the country.

Captain Airclues
11th Jun 2001, 12:25
tiger_moth

I suggest that you join the Moth Club. It is a club for Moth owners and enthusiasts. There is a Moth Rally at Old Warden on the 18th and 19th of August.

The Moth Club
Staggers
23 Hall Park Hill
Berkhamsted
HP24 2NH

Tel 01442 862077

www.dhmothclub.co.uk (http://www.dhmothclub.co.uk)

Airclues