PDA

View Full Version : HF for BA Short haul fleet ?

ATC Watcher
10th Jan 2011, 20:36
Can someone confirm or deny the rumour I have been told that BA has ( or is planning to ) install HF on 36 of its Short haul aircraft in order to circumnavigate France and Spain during ATC strikes/disruptions ?

Buying and installing HF sets in 2010/11 for 737s and A320s , who would have bet on this 20 years ago ?:E

Brenoch
10th Jan 2011, 20:38
It makes perfect sense, given that there seems to be industrial action a couple of times per month.

Sir George Cayley
10th Jan 2011, 20:44
Isn't it funny how acronyms mean different things to different people:sad:

HF to me in this modern world means Human Factors, so I thought you meant BA crews didn't have any:ugh:

Back on thread - Sat Com is a more reliable service. Oh and ADS-C too

Sir George Cayley

Thunderbug
10th Jan 2011, 20:46
Not sure on the 737s, but for the Airbus there is an element of truth to this rumour.

BA recently retired the (HF equipped) 757 fleet. This leaves just 5 LHR based shorthaul aircraft (Airbus A320) with HF fitted and three of these are to be retired by the end of the summer.

The HF fit has been very useful during both French & Spanish ATC industrial action. They allow routes to be flown through oceanic airspace avoiding the affected areas.

I know that a business case was being put together to get additional HF capacity, but had not heard any outcome or time scale.