PDA

View Full Version : Pax with Parkinsons

stiknruda
10th Jan 2011, 19:06
I've agreed to take a local chap up for a bit of looping and swooping in my Pitts. Yesterdsay, I learned that he suffers from Parkinsons.

Any qualified medical opinion about the sensibility about doing this? The alternative is a tour around the patch in my Cherokee.

Chap used to fly - so am not to worried about his comportemente.

Thanks in anticipation,

Stik

KembleKid
10th Jan 2011, 20:40
Can't comment in any sort of medical capacity, but I recently took a friend flying who has early stage Parkinsons. He used to fly gliders.

Didn't do anything more adventurous than a cross-country bimble but he certainly didn't have any problems. It was obvious that he really enjoyed getting back in the air again and I haven't seen such a big grin on his face for a long time.

I think you'll have a very appreciative passenger.

Capetonian
10th Jan 2011, 21:02
My dad had Parkinsons. During the last stages, in his late 80's, he was pretty much vegetative, due largely to the drugs they give sometimes, and these also impaired his cognitive abilities. During the earlier stages taking him out on foot and by car was no problem at all, he was just a little frail and shaky, there were no sudden uncontrolled movements that would have caused alarm or danger on board an aircraft.

Some Parkinson's sufferers can become slightly aggressive or nervous in the presence of people they don't know.

Not knowing the particular person it's hard to say more but I would not imagine you will have a problem and he will probably appreciate the ride enormously.

rans6andrew
10th Jan 2011, 21:04
a friend, who has mild but worsening Parkinsons, and has had visible hand tremble for several years, has only just taken the difficult decision to stop flying P1. His doctor was OK with his microlight (self certified) medical and saw no reason to ground him or to prevent him driving his car. It would seem that the concentration at critical times gave him the ability to overcome the trembles and his flying was fine. He still makes a useful second pair of eyes, helpful radio operator, backup navigator and part time "autopilot".

I would say take him flying and see the joy on his face.

Rans6....

BackPacker
10th Jan 2011, 21:17
Do you know the guy well?

It might be worth making an appointment one evening well before the flight, to get to know each other without any pressure. That way you can judge whether he's going to be a flight hazard, and he can get comfortable with the idea of flying with you, and the things he can expect.

If you only meet the guy an hour before going airborne, there might be too much pressure to make a sound decision. And for him too much opportunity to become nervous.

Depending on the outcome of that meeting, you might want to consider removing the stick from the pax seat, if that's possible.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with a pax with mild Parkinson, as long as his uncontrollable movements don't lead to an uncontrollable grasping of the stick (or rudder!) Then again - I fly side-by-side seaters only so if necessary I can just whack his hands from the stick.

And the usual caveats about taking pax on aerobatics rides apply all the same of course.