PDA

View Full Version : Flying clubs around Luxembourg

grafity
10th Jan 2011, 18:07
Hi all,

I see that there's a number of flying clubs around Luxembourg and Trier. I was wondering does anyone have any information on them?

It's looking like I'll be here for a while and I'm looking for a club with a good atmosphere, affordable flying, a variety of aircraft would be good too.

I'm also painfully close to finishing my PPL(44hrs, theory done, just the 150nm cross country and practice for the test left) but I've had to leave Ireland where I've completed most of my training for a job in Luxembourg. Maybe a bit of a stupid question but worth a shot, would aviation authorities out here recognise my theory or at least my ground school, if I were to try and finish my training out here? My plan is to try and get home for a few weeks to finish with my local flying club but I'm not sure if that's going to be practical.

If anyone is a member of any of the clubs around Lux or Trier I'd love to here from them.

Regards,
Grafity

patowalker
10th Jan 2011, 20:11
Speak to Aviasport and Aerosport at ELLX. I am sure you would be able to finish your training at either of them.

You will enjoy flying in Luxembourg.

I flew microlights out of Aeroplume, near Larochette, for 7 years.

letpmar
10th Jan 2011, 22:16
You can only do flight training at ELLX the only other airfield in the country is ELNT Nortrange where the parachute club is. I have a lot of good friends at the flying club and aften call in when Im passing. If you PM me I can put you in touch with a very good instructor. You will have to ask them about your exams, I would have thought at 44 hours it might be better spending a week in Ireland and finishing there.
Any way get in touch and i would be happy to help.

Pete

grafity
10th Jan 2011, 22:17
Thanks for the quick reply patowalker. Very much looking forward to doing some flying around here, it seems like an excellent location to explore Europe from.

Speak to Aviasport and Aerosport at ELLX

They seem like good contenders alright. Have you any experience of Trier(EDRT)?
I do plan to contact them all, just trying to get an idea what they are like first.

Thanks again.

patowalker
11th Jan 2011, 11:51
Very much looking forward to doing some flying around here, it seems like an excellent location to explore Europe from.

You can say that again. With one exception, all away landings involve crossing borders.

I don't know anything about Trier, but unless you speak German, I would suggest you are better off at ELLX.

The EDRT airfield plate mentions "Pattern traffic not permitted", which does not look good for training, although there may be an exception for aircraft based there.

Jan Olieslagers
11th Jan 2011, 13:29
Depending on your criteria, you might wish to look into France, too. Longuyon-Villette cannot be further off than Trier, will be less strict and less expensive, but might pose some language issues.
FWIW if microlights are an option, there is indeed ELMD Medernach, but also EBAR Arlon, litterally a stone's throw across the Belgian border and close to the motorway. Language will be just as much of an issue, though.

And don't be put off by all those borders: the only implication is you'll have to file a flight plan, at least as long as you remain inside Schengen - and Schengen goes a long way, from Lisboa to Stockholm.There's just a few queer exceptions, like Switzerland and the UK.

patowalker
11th Jan 2011, 17:57
And don't be put off by all those borders: the only implication is you'll have to file a flight plan, at least as long as you remain inside SchengenJan,

In those 7 years at ELMD, I once met a pilot who filed a flight plan to and from EBAR. Your countrymen were equally punctilious about paperwork. :)

PS. To call EBAR Arlon is pretentious, its proper name is Sterpenich.

Jan Olieslagers
11th Jan 2011, 18:09
Pato,

1° yes yes, I DID say things are more relaxed among French-speakers, didn't I? The law is one thing, how it is applied is another - and the distance increases as one goes south.

2° sorry but that's official, straight from the AIP - and would you REALLY dare call my dearly beloved little AIP "pretentious"????

EBAR AD 2.1 AERODROME LOCATION INDICATOR AND NAME

EBAR — ARLON / Sterpenich

EBAR AD 2.2 ULM DATA

1. COORD 493946N - 0055313E 2. ELEV (ft)1138 3. RWY 09 / 27 4. QFU 85° / 265° 5. Dimensions (m)150 x 30 6.Slope
7.Surface GRASS

Or for a less official voice, consult http://fed-ulm.be/gegevens/prak/ulip/pdf/EBAR.fr.pdf

patowalker
11th Jan 2011, 18:52
Yeah, we have London-Ashford Airport, but it is actually Lydd.

Anyway, I always enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere at Sterpenich.

grafity
12th Jan 2011, 09:09
And don't be put off by all those borders: the only implication is you'll have to file a flight plan, at least as long as you remain inside Schengen

Yeah I don't mind flight plans alright. Do you need one to fly out of ELLX and in it's controlled airspace anyway?

FWIW if microlights are an option, there is indeed ELMD Medernach, but also EBAR Arlon, litterally a stone's throw across the Belgian border and close to the motorway. Language will be just as much of an issue, though.

They may be an option in the future alright, but I'll try and get the PPL(A) done first. Maybe the language barrier is the main reason to keep it Luxembourg. I'll have to pull the :ok: out and start learning some local lingo. I've a feeling demanding people speak English as it's the aviation language won't get you too far or too many friends. :ouch:

Jan Olieslagers
12th Jan 2011, 14:28
1) I thought this one had been done again and over and again: YES to fly in controlled airspace one must ALWAYS file a flight plan. On top of that one must file a flight plan for every flight through the airspace of more than one country - and that is hard to avoid with so small a country. BUT the flightplan can be filed over the radio, after take-off - I think, if you were taking off from Noertrange, there would be no other option.

2) AFAIK they are very open-minded in Luxembourg towards foreigners - ISTR they have the highest ratio of foreign inhabitants vs. natives of all EC countries - and also they are reasonably polyglottic i.e. much better than the average Englander or French(wo)man. R/T at ELLX must be all English anyway, I believe. In Germany they'll have a certain degree of English too, and they'll certainly be open to foreigners - but less than in Luxembourg for both points. In France OTOH you have to talk French - point à la ligne. Mind you these are impressions of mine, based upon extensive travel in all countries named - but none flying, as yet.

patowalker
12th Jan 2011, 17:32
R/T at ELLX must be all English anyway, I believe.

Not necessarily. I have heard 4 languages spoken. A fifth was used by certain Chinese pilots, but I don't know what it was, and neither did ATC.:)

In France OTOH you have to talk French - point à la ligne. Mind you these are impressions of mine, based upon extensive travel in all countries named - but none flying, as yet.

Airfield charts indicate whether AFIS is French only. Many popular destinations have English. ATC will always include English.

Fesch
26th Jan 2011, 15:11
Hi,

For flying in and out of ELLX, filing a flightplan is mandatory, even for cross country flights departing and arriving at Luxembourg. This is done by a quick phone call to the AIS at least 30 min. prior departure.

English is nearly the only language for R/T. French is allowed for VFR but almost never heard. You get the odd dutch, german, french or luxembourgish comment over R/T but they are not relevant for ATC.

XLC
26th Jan 2011, 23:27
GraFity, if you have only 4 hours more to go then it seems to me you will have your licence more quickly back home .. It is not that far and - weather apart - can be spread over a long WE or so, is it not?
Excluding possible language barriers your 4 hours might become more as I believe they will like to check you out before releasing you on a X-country, and the instructor too will do the same before handing you over to an examiner.

EuroPPL
29th Jan 2011, 23:13
You're probably better off finishing it in Ireland, but it's worth checking with AeroSport first. In any case, Luxembourg is a good place to build some hours - long runway and lots of international traffic.

On top of that one must file a flight plan for every flight through the airspace of more than one country - and that is hard to avoid with so small a country.

Luxembourg airspace is actually bigger than the country, and it's quite practical to stay within it for a short flight. It has 7 TMAs, 6 of which are over neighbouring countries.

patowalker
30th Jan 2011, 08:06
I believe you cannot do the exams in one country and the test in another, so if the exams have already been passed in Ireland, ....

Radar
30th Jan 2011, 08:49
I believe you cannot do the exams in one country and the test in another, so if the exams have already been passed in Ireland, ....

This would be my understanding also, having added a rating to my Irish issued PPL within the last six months.