PDA

View Full Version : GPS on a 737?

bluesboy
7th Jun 2001, 12:47
I'm taking a flight to the Canary Islands next week. (Futura Airlines) I'm no pilot but I know mobile phones etc are not permitted to be used whilst on aircraft. I have a small handheld GPS device. Would I be able to use this on the aircraft? It probably doesn't transmit anything like a phone, it only receives satellite data. Any advice welcome.......Oh...you may be wondering why I need a GPS device on a plane....I don't...just a toy!

radeng
7th Jun 2001, 14:13
bluesboy,

I'd say 'preferably not', and if you must, only under the same conditions that you're allowed the use of a computer. And only then if it has a CE marking. (If it hasn't, and
was obtained after Jan 1st 1996, its use is illegal in the EU anyway). The fact that it is a receiver doesn't prevent it radiating signals; the limits on those signals can be so minimal as to be laughable, depending on what the manufacturer decides in these days of self certification.

mad_jock
7th Jun 2001, 14:28
CE mark dosn't mean its illegal to use only to sell in a eu shop.

You can use the GPS after takeoff when the fasten your seatbelt light is out. But you must turn it off when it turns back on again.

You will proberly have problems getting a clear signal unless you are in a window seat. Due to the shielding effect of sitting in the middle of a can.

Have fun. If its a British flight and you visit the flight deck see how close the position is compared to the LRNS.

MJ

radeng
7th Jun 2001, 15:30
mad_jock said;

CE mark dosn't mean its illegal to use only to sell in a eu shop

Not quite so under the UK SI on the implementation of the EMC Directive. That makes 'placing in service' an offence.

Minor point, though.

fly4fud
7th Jun 2001, 21:20
Don't even bother taking you GPS along!
Looking at the EMI PED list for my airline, I see "PROHIBITED: ...walkie talkie, satellite receivers, AM/FM radios...". So, I sure don't know about Futura's policy, but would be surprised if they would allow its use.

Another point is that it probably would not work. I tried it once on a ferry flight on a MD-80 and it didn't work from any of the cabin windows. As a matter of fact the only place it worked was by holding the antenna against the rear cockpit windows!

------------------
... cut my wings and I'll die ...

Track
8th Jun 2001, 00:22
In most companies you're not allowed to use any equipment with an antenna during the COMPLETE flight.

radeng
8th Jun 2001, 11:22
As far as I'm aware, the only electronics that a PAX can use at all times on a flight are a watch, a hearing aid, and a heart pacemaker.

bluesboy
11th Jun 2001, 14:17
OK....thanks fellas. I'll leave it at home.
Glad I asked.

TR4A
11th Jun 2001, 22:07
Over here in The Colonies my airline, Southwest Airlines, allows the use of GPS receivers in flight. It has to stowed for takeoff and landing.

ACARS
11th Jun 2001, 23:33
Ask the Captain if you can see his GPS. Then when your in the Cockpit ask if you can compare yours against his.