PDA

View Full Version : Command of Airliner?

swashplate
4th Jun 2001, 19:26
Well, here it is then!! :) :)

Over on R+N, it was mention that a 757 co-pilot did a command course on 737. Then flew 737 as capt, having not flown it previousley as co-pilot.

I previousley assumed that you did type-rating, 4000hrs min, and could then apply for command?

Can someone please put swashplate out of his misery and post one of those really long and fascinating posts (a la hugmonster) on the procedure for upgrading?

PS LOL, £6!

------------------
Live long and Prosper.....

[This message has been edited by swashplate (edited 04 June 2001).]

FlapsOne
4th Jun 2001, 20:25
Swashplate.

There is no 'rule'. The policy varies from airline to airline, and even within an airline as supply and demand changes over the years.

Many guys/gals get commands on aircraft based on their previous all round experience and ability. Flying the aircraft is, almost, a secondary requirement for the commander. Someone who has experience on 757/767 would very happily settle into 737 quickly.

I would guess that if you asked 10 different companies they would have 10 different policies.

Checkboard
5th Jun 2001, 10:17
In my company, it is possible to spend all of your FO time on, say a 737, then upgrade to an A320 command.

M.Mouse
6th Jun 2001, 18:33
Swashplate

I went from First Officer 747 to Captain 757/767. It is taken as read when approved for command training that you can fly. Also when new to type and signed off your first few weeks on the aircraft you are never paired with an FO inexperienced on type.

It is hard work changing seats and type but by no means overly demanding.

I think it would also be fair to say that progressing from new PPL to more complex single engine types to twins to turbo-props to jets each conversion is made easier by the steadily increasing level of experience at each stage.

Checkboard
7th Jun 2001, 09:53
I don't think that this topic really suits the Tech Log forum, so I am moving it to Questions.

------------------
Tech Log forum moderator

Ignition Override
12th Jun 2001, 07:53
Having chatted with simulator instructors on an old "steam-gauge" jet about going from very new to old technology while upgrading to Captain, they had a couple of points:

They have on occasion seen problems with some pilots who go from widebody FO to narrowbody Captain (even after our 25 hours min of Operating Experience-OE, when released to fly with regular FOs), especially if training on equipment which flies short legs, i.e. 20-45 minutes enroute.

The transition which causes the most difficulty regarding instrument scan seems to be for those leaving the A-320 etc PFD/ND displays back to the older layout with spread out flight instruments, (possibly from later Boeings to older gauges also?). Some pilots told me that they found the change back to older cockpits more difficult than to the newer types. It always surprises me that some pilots upgrade in a type which they never flew as First Officer. That must be an immense workload, especially if your training partner is a new-hire, who never flew it before, whether he/she has training hang-ups or not. Add that to a high chance of multiple tng periods with an 0500 show time, while briefing quickly for an 0600-1000 simulator...no way.

Incidentally, Southwest Airlines had Boeing design the displays on latest models to be round gauges (one of their pilots left to work elsewhere).

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 12 June 2001).]