PDA

View Full Version : Does the language of trainning matters

Fullpatate
8th Jan 2011, 20:58
Hi
I am about to go through my multi-ifr trainning and I was wondering if it could be an asset for me to do it in an english environment.

I did all my trainning in french in Montreal and I will be applying for a position in an anglophone cie.

My level of written and spoken English is fine and I was told it didn't really matter in the end, but I wish to be sure it is not going to be a drawback for a futur application.

Your experienced advices would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Rhys Perraton
8th Jan 2011, 21:40
The international language of aviation is ENGLISH not French or any other funny dialect.
There isn't any law about spelling yet as far as I know but there ruddy well should be.

Fullpatate
8th Jan 2011, 22:34
Let me reformulate my question:
When interviewed for a job do they look if you had trainning in ENGLISH or they just listen whether or not you can speak?

If French is a funny dialect maybe you should learn some.

+TSRA
9th Jan 2011, 19:33
Nope, doesnt matter.

What does matter is how well you can speak English, so if you are worried at all, get the school to organize the English Proficiency test for you so that you can be certified as competent in both English and French.

I would, however, study in both English and French; because there are not many operators who are forgiving for not understanding basic IFR procedures and "I learned them in French, not English" is only going to have you seeing the exit interview, not the cockpit.

Fullpatate
9th Jan 2011, 19:56
I did all my studies in English from the Private to Instructor, and I have been studying IFR exclusively in English so I guess I am all right on this matter.

I am not even sure of the terms in French...

I appreciate your advice, thank you.

noflyzoneFO
11th Jan 2011, 02:23
I can't say what's acceptable in Canada, but in the US there is no distinction noted in regards to what language you learned in. The US companies (possibly the same in Canada) will look for proficiency in english-spoken and written. Rest assured that there are plenty of pilots here who speak with a foreign accent, and I personally know pilots born and raised from Cuba, Chile, France, Belgium, and on who work for major airlines here. The US airlines do not test for ICAO level 4 english, it is usually quite apparent whether or not one is fluent at the interview.
Cependant, vous devez etre certain que l'epellation des mots en anglais est correct! Si votre C.V. a des mots mal ecrit, bien sur ce finira mal pour vous. Peut-etre quelques semaines hors de Quebec - pour le practique d'anglais -ca ira bien pour votre carriere. (prendre une vacance en Florida?) En tout cas - bonne chance et bon courage!

Winnie
11th Jan 2011, 19:56
Fullpatate:

If your license has "Language proficiency: English" on it, don't worry.

IF it does not, then you might have some troubles. Being in the Montreal area you might consider doing some IFR XC to the Ontario side just to see the difference in comms there. And don't despair, there are plenty of 'funny dialects' on the air, just try Newfoundland, or Southwestern Ontario (Full of chinese and indian dialects...)

Just do procedures in english and you should fare well.

Cheers
H.
Helicopter IFR instructor