PDA

View Full Version : Cost of installation ILS, DME, VOR, GPS

ziaro
7th Jan 2011, 10:28
Hi

I write a project on my academy. And i want to ask abour prices of installation systems ILS, DME, VOR, GPS.

It;s very important for me. I must have to a note for a project so i want something pages or something else

Pages could be in english or french.

Please help me

galaxy flyer
7th Jan 2011, 20:45
Here's a stab at it:

GPS was entirely funded by the US Dep"t of Defense, so no cost to the users. You might check this out:

USAF GPS Fact Sheet (http://www.losangeles.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=5311)

Ground-based navaids are highly variable as to cost. First, there are siting issues: leasing land, site preparation (leveling the site, road construction, foundations, etc.), then there is the cost of the navaid itself. An ILS installation, I understand, runs about $800,000 minimum without approach lighting, double that for the ALS. Many more difficult installations go multiples of that figure. A VOR is probably half that, but that is a guess. DME is co-located with the VOR, so the only additional cost is the DME transceiver. TACAN was funded by military organizations and provided DME, but, I suspect, the military isn't funding any TACANs. NDBs are the cheapest, but probably none have been installed in the last 15 years, as GPS is replacing them. NDBs have very little need for site work prior to installation, while the other aids have standards for level ground, trees, access, etc.

Construction is the big upfront cost, especially in difficult terrain.

GF

ziaro
7th Jan 2011, 22:57
but where do you find this prices?

galaxy flyer
9th Jan 2011, 19:47
Some of it past experience, I was a Director of Operations at an USAF AFB; some by Google.

GF