PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Allowances

notac
28th Aug 2001, 16:14
I am currently in the midst of a forced relocation due to my base being closed. Our current relocation package pays £5000.

The company states that this amount is repayable should I leave within two years of payment, they have also sent out a form for us to sign that says this amount will be taken out of our final wage package.

My question - What is your companies policy on forced relocation.

My view is if you are forced to move as in my case the cost should be the companies liability and not mine.

You want it when?
28th Aug 2001, 17:06
Notac - sorry to hear about the enforced move, however in todays economic climate it seems a pretty fair offer. If you are moving to an area where housing / living costs are higher than you could hold out for a pay raise maybe. £5,000 will soon be swallowed up in transport and legal fees (plus the odd bit of fit-out).

In reality though you either move or accept redundancy.

dv8
29th Aug 2001, 20:27
notac
Been there and bought the T-shirt.
Another way of looking at it is that due to base closure you can take redundancy and walk. Any bond remaining is null and
void.
I did take the relocation package as the move although forced was not a burden to me or my family. It made the property that I did move to that much cheaper. All legal fees, removal firm, etc. were paid for.
Theirs always a sliver lining to ...... :cool:

northern boy
1st Sep 2001, 00:18
Notac,

Im in the same boat.

The Inland revenue take an interest in these things but any company can negotiate its own deal with them. Our lot offered a "final" package which would have left everyone out of pocket.The whole thing is now back in discussion and the fixed immovable goalposts are being dug up and shifted (hopefully) to our advantage.

Its always worth a try.Good luck.