PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Flying

Fl330
6th Jun 2001, 02:37
I am a Beach 1900 Captain, I have 4000hrs of which 1000 are 1900 Command. I have another 500 hrs Command on Navajo's the rest is First Officer on the 1900 and Flight Instructor Time. I have flown in Northern & Southern Canada along with the Carrabean. I would like to fly overseas in the Arab States or in Asia. I have saved enough for an A320 Type or A330.

My question is. Will this help? I have heard even though you have a type rating you will still require some time on the A/C. For you professionals flying this type of equipment what should I do?

I could try to stay in Canada and try to get on with Air Canada or Canada 3000 with the Type Rating. Would this be a better idea than going for the gusto all at once. I think Air Canada and Canada 3000 would take a better look if I had a Type.

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Too Much Fun

DownIn3Green
6th Jun 2001, 03:26
Fl330,

You could get picked up in the Gulf but ask yourself do you want to be in a 1900 in 35-40 degree(C) temps?

Don't know if a type would be that much help but the guys on the mideast forum could probably help advise you.

Good Luck

Fl330
6th Jun 2001, 04:07
Thanks for the info 3Green, not to interested in going to the Gulf to fly the same aircraft. I want to move up to a bigger plane, not move someplace to fly the same AC. Already have flown the 1900 in 35 and it's not fun.

What is the address of the Gluf forum so I can check it out

------------------
Too Much Fun

DownIn3Green
6th Jun 2001, 05:30
Fl,

Gulf Forum is here on PPrune.

Scroll down on the home page to Regional Issues. (almost to the bottom) You'll see it.

Welcome to the prune.

Wings
7th Jun 2001, 19:57
Fl
Your flying experience makes you, at first glance a candidate worthy of consideration by several airlines. Well done. Your willingness to purchase an Airbus rating indicates that, unlike many pilots, you can handle money as well as you can handle an aircraft.
You mention an interest in going to the Gulf. Perhaps you should contact the airlines in the Gulf that you are interested in joining, and asking them directly if buying an Airbus rating would further your chances. Be quite clear about one thing though. Airlines will NOT say "Buy yourself an A 320 rating and we will give you a job". Too many things can happen in the time it takes for you to get the rating. By the time you have it, the whole World could have changed and they will just say "Sorry" and you're several thousand dollars out of pocket.
Buying a rating will always be a gamble. If it turns out well, it will be the best investment you ever make career wise. But what happens if it doesn't turn out.
My experience is that most airlines will tell you (truthfully or otherwise) that if they want you they will type rate you. Another train of thought is, that if the airline is so miserly that they make you pay for your own type rating, are they financially sound and what are they going to be like to work for?

All the best.
Cheers