PDA

View Full Version : PPL Book questions

tombell777
6th Jan 2011, 16:38
Hello,

This is my 1st post, although been reading PPRuNe for some time now.

I want to buy the PPL books and start reading and taking each exam - one a month, starting with Air Law.

Now I've found this book on whsmith website Aviation Law and Meteorology Trevor Thom | WHSmith.co.uk (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9781843360667)

however it says
Publication Date: 01/10/2003 which seems very old?
Same book at the flightstore...
Air Pilot's Manual Volume 2 - Aviation Law & Meteorology £18.40 (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/1843360667.asp)

And it says published 2010 - They have the same ISBN .file:///C:/Users/DRZ/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif

Id rather buy from WHSmith but don't want an old version.. I guess my question is; where can I find out what the latest syllabus is? I rang the CAA and they told me to talk to a flight school which I will do next week but can anyone help me in the meantime make sure I buy the most up-to-date books with the correct/current syllabus, so there's no nasty surprises in the exams? Would you recommend a specific author?

Regards
Tom

tombell777
7th Jan 2011, 18:58
Anyone?...:)

pitofrost
7th Jan 2011, 19:59
My aviation law is 2002, and I passed with it.

Most of my other Thom books are between 2001 and 2005. The aviation law is probably the only one that might go out of date, but it dosn't seem to have done so. (unlike other areas of, non aviation, law:ugh:)

I got all of my books from e-bay, normally for less than £5, and just have two more exams to do now ...

Wibblemonster
7th Jan 2011, 19:59
I used the AFE books & Oxford cd's to pass mine.

tombell777
7th Jan 2011, 20:42
ok, so basically make sure I buy an up-to-date Air Law and the rest of the books just relatively new.

I am to get a PPL confuser as well.

Do I need to join a flying school to take the exams or can I just take them at the flying school without becoming a member?

Reason is; I plan to start flying around july/aug, so don't want to join now and waste quite a few months worth of membership fee.

asyncio
7th Jan 2011, 20:57
I believe the eighth edition is still the current one, it first came out in 2008.
It has the new Basic/Traffic/Deconfliction services vs FIS/RIS/RAS, so you'll probably don't want to get anything older than that.

CharlieDeltaUK
7th Jan 2011, 21:19
I've got the 9th revised edition, 2010. (ISBN 1 84336 066 7)

pitofrost
8th Jan 2011, 11:03
The confuser is out of print. I have the AFE Question and answer simplifier (5th Edition) which is excellent.

I got it new from the AFE/Airplan web site. It has mock exams, reasoning for the answers and revision notes. Brilliant book.

Most people do the exams with their school, that's what I'm doing. I was told there was a chap a Cranfield who would just do ground school revision and then the exams, and there is a chap who always advertises in Pilot and Flyer.