PDA

View Full Version : Golf around MAN or LGW..?

McDoo the Irish Navigator
6th Jun 2001, 00:50
Whilst admiring my new golf bag out in the yard today, I thought to myself,"Why not drag my clubs across the pond next week and play a little golf?"
Problem is, I have no idea where to go.
I spend quite a bit of time in and around MAN and LGW. Can anyone recommend where I might be able to play? Inexpensive, public courses, near the airport or on a train route would be ideal.
Thanks..McDoo.

Big Red ' L '
6th Jun 2001, 03:01
If you are at EGKK then there are plenty of courses in Sussex, some nice ones too. Most are quite cheap too with the average being about £15. E-mail me and i will let you know more and depending when you are over here could pick you up at train station and take you to the course for a round or two....

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

chiglet
8th Jun 2001, 00:43
At EGCC there are around a dozen courses within a 10 mile radious.
Give us a shout and I'll play around with you :
Seriously, if we have the same time off at least 6 peeps on my watch will give you a game :)

------------------
chiglet

McDoo the Irish Navigator
8th Jun 2001, 17:45
Gentlemen...

Thanks for the kind offers, I'd love to take you up on it sometime. However, I failed to mention,, I'm really only a beginner, so I may be out of my league, I certainly won't hold up the game looking for balls in the woods, I'm not that bad, so if your just looking for a way to ruin a nice walk...I'm your man.

chiglet
9th Jun 2001, 01:21
McDoo
The "crowd" that I play with [B watch MACC] I play off 28, Tom 28, Bernie 25 [hip replacement] Steve 28, Bazz 18. So we ain't quite ready for the Open. BUT a nice waner with good company for a convivial round, then no probs. :)
Sorry if i upset any "serious" golfers out there http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif
we aim to please [it keeps the cleaners happy]

------------------
chiglet

Hussar 54
11th Jun 2001, 14:36
Had almost a year based in MAN in the late 80's and in those days regularly played on four different courses...can't imagine they've changed too much since...

REDDISH VALE - nr Stockport...absolutely awesome 100 years old Championship course but in not very nice surroundings, now surrounded by large housing estates. Still worth it, though...has ( had ? ) an old gothic clubhouse straight out of the Addams Family...and directly under the MAN glideslope if you still get a kick out of watching the approach from the ground.

MERE - near Lymn...big bucks to play/eat but you'll see lots of local celebrities and bigwigs...club and course is ( was ) immaculate but nothing special...

WERNETH LOW near Hyde - cheap and cheerful 9 holer...very hilly and exposed, so avoid on wet/windy days...excellent on nice Summer evenings.

MELLOR near Marple - IMHO probably one of the UK's least known and hidden gems...beautiful, very English style course in lovely scenery at the bottom of the Pennines ( ? ) with spectacular views...a little bit hilly, and not too long, but every hole different and a great day out...friendly members and clubhouse...can't be recommended too highly.

Now based in South of France, and if you ever overnight down here in MRS or TLN and can squeeze in a game, highly recommended are Fregate near Bandol - right along the cliffs overlooking the Sea...St Endreol near Brignolle - absolutely magnificent set in a Mountain Valley and probably the best course in the Region...and Ste Maxime - extremely hilly up above the town but spectacular holes up and down the hills, most with superb Sea views...

Perhaps we should open a new Topic and invite everyone to recommend 2 or 3 courses in their part of the world ?