PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat priviledges

hvassk
28th Aug 2001, 02:19
Why is that European carriers do not allow "free" jumpseaters as we do in America? Buddy of mine took a Lufthansa FO from SFO to HNL free of charge in first class. Sure would be nice going the other way.

28th Aug 2001, 19:54
Why are PPL-holders and even the flight attendants in US-airliners not allowed to make a flight deck visit en route?

[ 28 August 2001: Message edited by: 380 ]

hvassk
28th Aug 2001, 20:54
Because American's are unfortunately too liability consciense. Basically, a safety issue. Although, FA's are allowed up front, otherwise we'd never get anything to eat.

captain
29th Aug 2001, 00:45
H,
Jumpseating in the US, as I understand, is mainly a union (US-ALPA) agreement. Now unions in Europe still are unable to pressure airlines to give jumpseat rights to pilots/flight attendants.
US carriers have crews based all over the US so management profit from the fact that crew can shuttle back and forth accross the country. In europe almost all carriers have only one base where all crew begin and end duty. So management doesn't bother to install jumpseating. Also other unions (groung crew / machinists etc.) find it very unfair for spoiled pilots to get anything when they don't. The latter was recently the case with one large European carrier to scrub efforts to install jumpseating with that company. Management honestly feared mutiny from other labour unions. Go figure.
SJ

C.130
29th Aug 2001, 01:18
Recently came home from a trip as SLC on a packed BA flight, how come one of the PASSENGERS got to ride up front on the jump seat, he was nothing to do with the airline or airline industry unlike myself, i have asked on numerous flights home or indeed outbound as SLC if i can sit up front on loads of different European carriers, my requests have always been met with a resounding NO, please please please someone tell me how to get a ride in the pointy end, apart from flying the damned thing myself. :(

low n' slow
29th Aug 2001, 15:12
-Herluf-
There are some European carriers that do allow jump seat pax. SAS or Skyways for example. They place stby pax quite frequently in cockpit on overly booked flights.
Just ask nicely and I'm shure you'd be allowed up front. However, on Skyways flights (domestic flights in Sweden), they won't let you into the cockpit prior to reaching the cruise level. Dunno why though...
regards/sam

Herod
30th Aug 2001, 00:22
I think you will find that one of the problems within Europe is insurance. My company allows fare-paying passengers to be carried on the jump-seat because it is licenced and insured. Carriage of any passengers (including staff from the same airline) is prohibited without a ticket. Herky, could be that the passenger you saw was actually there because the flight was full. All airlines overbook and if all the passengers turn up it can result in the crew being asked if they will carry a revenue passenger on the jumpseat. Note I said asked. The final decision is the Captain's, with no come-back

hvassk
30th Aug 2001, 01:00
I just think that it's interesting that a pilot flying for nearly any 121 carrier can fly on nearly any other 121 carrier for free and with no ticket. I can walk up to any ticket counter and ask for the jumpseat with no ticket. Too bad I can't walk up to the SAS ticket counter in EWR and ask for the jumpseat to CPH with no ticket.

Checkboard
2nd Sep 2001, 12:57
In the United States in the 60's and early 70's the airlines experienced a number of "Take me to Cuba" style highjacks. This became so serious that several pilots were killed, and professional pilots began to arm themselves.

Nearly everything ALPA (the USA's Air Line Pilot's Association) did between 1970 and 1974 took a backseat to the elimination of skyjacking. While much of this involved forcing the government to introduce significant ground security, one of the consequences was the law in the USA for locking the cockpit door in flight.

This had the incidental effect of significantly increasing the Captain's authority over cockpit travel, and now the jumpseat is considered (in the USA) as being virtually "owned" by the flight crew.

Inter-airline agreements in the USA allow the Captain to authorise travel on this seat, although if a cabin seat is available for substitution the passenger usually travels there. As the seat isn't available to the company for revenue travel, it isn't charged for, should the Captain offer it. Jumpseat travel is usually reserved for flight crew of an airline subject to the agreements in place.

Free jumpseat travel is not available in either Europe or Australia, and would be a very difficult thing to implement against company opposition.

In Australia, as we are a reasonably politically neutral country and a long way from anywhere, we have an open door policy that allows passengers (with permission!) to visit the flight deck in flight. The Captain may choose to offer the jumpseat to a passenger for landing as a special treat, but while not uncommon, it is resonably rare.

Herky Bird, you have to understand that it is pretty intrusive to have have someone immediately behind you, "breathing down your neck" while you are strapped into a pilot's seat. For this reason jumpseat landings are really only offered to people that the pilots are completely comfortable with - and usually this isn't the person who asks! :rolleyes: It might be a person that you have met during the flight, and have had a chance to talk to first, so asking for a flight deck visit in flight may get you a jumseat landing.

Asking pre-takeoff (one of our busiest times) will normally result in a "No", unless you are staff, as we just don't have time to assess your character. It also helps if you are a good looking young lady! :D

[ 02 September 2001: Message edited by: Checkboard ]