PDA

View Full Version : Ideas??

spacemonkeys
5th Jan 2011, 15:30
Hello everyone, I am about to do my PPL Skills test and will be looking to build up 50hours time before the end of March, I did fancy a long trip to Innsbruck but the weather this time of year is Putting me off. Has anybody got any ideas of trips down into Europe and any advice? South of Spain?

Based at Barton and will be in a PA-28. Thanks in advance. Tom

Jan Olieslagers
5th Jan 2011, 16:57
Which other threads on related subjects have you already consulted? There have been quite a few, over the last couple of weeks.

Pace
5th Jan 2011, 18:19
Tom

Look at flying to San Sebastian in North Spain.

It is a spectacular trip with many diversion airfields on route. It can be flown very low level and you wont get lost following the coast.

Beyone San Sebastian into Spain you do have 7000 foot mountains so weather becomes a bigger issue.

Regardless weather at this time of year is going to be your biggest hurdle as a newbie pilot.

Pace

AdamFrisch
5th Jan 2011, 20:53
My plan was to have flown to Sweden over Xmas. The the weather hit here in England and Blackbushe, where the aircraft I was supposed to rent was, closed for like a week. So it didn't happen.

But as I drove up in my car, I could totally have made it. It was sunny and clear skies for more days than there were clouds and snow. Sure, I would have had to have some extra time and be prepared for deviations and delays, but it would be totally doable.

Take your time and you can do it. The weather will be a challenge but it never stays the same for very long.

flybymike
6th Jan 2011, 00:02
For a 21 year old who has not yet got a licence I commend your ambition, self confidence, and at this time of year, your optimism.

MR.X99
6th Jan 2011, 01:16
Go wherever you feel like,follow the weather and let the Great Spirit be your Co-pilot. Head to Innsbruck.......follow Sun.:ok:

Safety First.

spacemonkeys
6th Jan 2011, 17:51
Thanks for the replies folks

I will certainly look into San Sebastian for a coastal trip.
Been browsing the site in general looking for ideas but most seem to be talking about barely into France my plan is to do something a bit longer.

Follow the sun and see where we end up sounds like a cracking plan.

Cheers