PDA

View Full Version : North Las Vegas VFR arrival and class B

pabloip
4th Jan 2011, 22:29
Flying to KVGT (North Las Vegas) there is a VFR route called "Rocks 2". This route starts abeam Jean airport at or above 7000. It then takes you northwest bound to a point called "Blue Diamond Gypsum Mine".

The thing I don't understand is that the route tells you to remain clear of class B, yet a small segment of it seems to take you right through it. I assume that you need to get clearance to enter class B before you fly that segment.

And, you also need to get clearance to fly this route in the first place. What should I expect?

Thanks in advance!

AdamFrisch
4th Jan 2011, 23:48
I don't have that terminal here with me, but I'm assuming it might be something like the Special Flight Rules through LAX Bravo airspace. It's basically a corridor of E airspace where you self announce on a unicom frequency and responsible for your own separation. In the case of the LA SFR, you do not need a specific clearance through the Bravo.

There's also a lower crossing at 2500ft called the Mini-Route and to fly that you need to contact LA tower and get a Bravo clearance. It could be something like that in Vegas, too. Normally the procedure is printed on the side of the terminal chart or at the back.

MR.X99
5th Jan 2011, 01:25
I remember flying around down there. Just remember the place is loaded with restricted military airspace. Area 51 being a famous one. We were time building(air head kids) and flew into restricted airspace....... unbelievable how fast those scramble jets are,the controllers are pretty cool usually.A 172 isn,t much of a National security threat though.

Mark 1
5th Jan 2011, 03:06
I've just looked at the TAC and can understand the confusion.

It seems to route you straight through the Class B but twice mentions that you should remain clear of Class B. Without a clearance to enter Class B you would need to be above 9500. But if you don't enter Class B why do you need a clearance for the arrival route? I suspect a clearance wouldn't be forthcoming if McCarran was busy in that sector.

You could go a few miles further west and be clear of Class B at 7500, but with an 8500 peak nearby. Not a good one for a night flight.

I think I'd be tempted to find a simpler arrival route.

2high2fastagain
6th Jan 2011, 14:03
I flew it the other way around (leaving N Las Vegas via Blue Diamond Road), as I recall we reported our intentions to use the VFR route at 7500' and the controllers seemed happy. The sectional panel I note tells you to be above 7000. Give them a call would be my counsel. They were great.

One thing I can advise. I arrived from the east with a southerly breeze. You route in via the Cortez Hotel though I had to land on the southeast runway. Even though I aimed to fly over the Lava Butte, the controllers were very keen to keep me north of the VFR route as the heavies were heading into McCarran on a parallel routing. I loved it when they asked if I had visual with Southwest xxx. I looked left and I'm sure I could see the pax waving at me. Watch out for that one. Caught me a bit by surprise because I was trying to be bang in the middle of those VFR arrows!

Super place to fly. Highly recommended.

pabloip
8th Jan 2011, 00:10
Thanks for your help.

In the end, the controllers were truly amazing for me. I called LV approach near Jean airport and they asked me if I was familiar with the area. I said "no", so they immediately gave me vectors and cleared me for Bravo. A few minutes later, they cleared me direct to KVGT and cleared me for Bravo again since the arrival had taken me out of it. KVGT tower gave me a right base for 12R. On the ground, a van waited for me and guided me to a parking space. All that for a rookie in a 172...

Overall a superb experience - I am truly thankful to the LV controllers for making it so easy.

2high2fastagain
8th Jan 2011, 11:25
Fantastic news. Really pleased to hear it went well.

I didn't get the chance when I was in the LV area, but I would really like to fly into Furnace Creek in Death Valley. I did drive over and stay there though. The airfield looked OK and the accommodation was good. There's even a golf course if you want to throw your clubs in the back.