PDA

View Full Version : LBIA ATC Reunion

Harry Clampers
4th Jan 2011, 11:19
The mother of all reunions is being planned for ex LBA employed ATCOs and ATCAs. Venue will be Harrogate, Friday 1st April 2011 from 1830hrs. Full details from Mike at [email protected] Zimmer frames welcome :ok:

Minesthechevy
4th Jan 2011, 12:50
Zimmer frame indeed.

I never worked at LBA, but I did live there for a while in the late 50s - in a 22' caravan, parked near the Yorkshire ?Aero/Flying? Club. This was handy for my Dad, who was an Instructor there with Arthur Carvell as his boss.

Dad later moved on to DC3s, AV74s, VC?7/8?, before moving to points even further north and frozen on HS21s.

So if anyone remembers the Carvells, or the real old days of the tank factory, drop me a line.

Harry Clampers
4th Jan 2011, 15:42
We have met. !! email winging its way

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jan 2011, 17:48
"Harry Clampers"..... bet not many youngsters now use that term!!

Helen49
4th Jan 2011, 18:35
I remember the term Harry Clampers well but where did the 'Harry' bit originate?

Mooncrest
5th Jan 2011, 14:12
I hope this turns out to be a good evening for all concerned. I always hoped to work in ATC, particularly at my home airport but haven't had the breaks. Yet. I nevertheless can remember some names and faces who have moved on to pastures new or simply decided to call it a day. And I can still hear their voices too. Actually, that last part is a bit scary :suspect:

Have a nice time boys and girls and here's hoping for a good turnout. :ok:

Minesthechevy
5th Jan 2011, 17:51
Mooncrest, nothing to worry about.

I did my best ATC work whilst listening to the voices in my head. It was either them or the pilots.........

arearadar
6th Jan 2011, 11:42
I, too, am familiar with the term Harry Clampers but would be interested to know who Harry is.
On the theme, I remember requesting the WX from Dublin, as London FIR controller. I was told it was 9 oktas at 50 feet. 9 oktas I queried. He said I`ve seen 8 oktas and its worse than that !

Dave:)

Harry Clampers
7th Jan 2011, 09:02
ok a bit of digging. According to the "Flyer Forum" Harry Clampers is used on more than one occasion by John Golley describing flying conditions at the time of the D Day landings in his memoirs Day of the Typhoon.
Or was it created by early pilots used as a euphamistic intensive rather like "flipping, ruddy or blooming" to avoid use of naughty words
Or Could it have come from the word Hari (Malay or Indonesian) for day. So if the Day is Clamped (due to bad wx) then its Hari Clampers.
Or my retired airline pilot dad used it in the context of It would be tight to get in (due to bad wx) tight = clamp = clamped = clampers

Anyway it sums up a sky obscure vv100ft quite well

Schimple !!

Lon More
7th Jan 2011, 11:12
LBIA – Bezmer Air Base (military) – Bezmer, Yambol Province

Had to look it up. Don't think many PPRuNeRs worked there :hmm:

fabs
7th Jan 2011, 12:29
USAF operate from there and the RAF have been known to use it before; so there may be a number of PPRuNers who have worked at Bezmer.

Enjoy your party.

Helen49
8th Jan 2011, 14:25
Thanks for the info! I expect anybody working at or flying into the LBIA would have met 'Harry' many times!

Mooncrest
13th Jan 2011, 09:08
Helen49,

Check your PMs please. Thankyou.

Mooncrest ;)

Mooncrest
18th May 2011, 16:25
Any reports as to how this event was ? I saw an old interior pic (circa 1972) of the LBA tower on flickr yesterday which got me thinking about it. That's nearly as old as me. :sad:

prascho
19th May 2011, 20:37
LBIA – Bezmer Air Base (military) – Bezmer, Yambol Province

Its allocated in Bulgaria. U could send me a PM for more info.