PDA

View Full Version : Engine Fire on Departure

27th Aug 2001, 19:21
Picture the scene. ATC at adjacent airfield call with details of an RJ85 that has just suffered an engine fire indication on departure and wants to divert to us. No problem. Crew report on first contact that fire appears to be extinguished, and that they do not require any assistance. Aircraft makes normal approach and lands. Fire service inspect aircraft and see no signs of fire. As aircraft taxis in, Capt makes a series of abrasive comments to ground controller.

Our SOPs call for a Full Emergency to de declared in this situation. For a four-engined aircraft, a precautionary shutdown would initiate a Local Standby, but anything more serious is automatically a FE.

We realise that most airlines don't like to have their flights met by fire tenders, but get really pi**ed off when we get a formal complaint from the company in situations like this. The crew apparently believed that ATC had "grossly overreacted".

What I wonder is, are we overreacting? How would other crews have felt?

LRdriver
27th Aug 2001, 19:54
Personally I do not see this an issue.. We follow SOPs hence you follow SOPs also.

"the fire seems to extinguished.." I know I would feel better with somebody watching me.
You should not feel disillusioned with some D*ckh*ad pilot. Anyhow I thought this is what our Landing fees cover?

I remember having gear retraction probs on a Lr25 and the fire brigade followed us down the RWY when we landed after the Mtx flight. It made me feel better and the fire boys where happy as they were bored anyhow :D

Keep up the good work :)

Carnage Matey!
27th Aug 2001, 23:00
Shoud've said you didn't trust him and the blue lights turned out to make sure he didn't block your runway!

Whipping Boy's SATCO
28th Aug 2001, 09:30
Appears to be extinguished.....

Well, it appears you don't need to divert anymore!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Aug 2001, 11:14
Keep following the rules and ignore the idiots. There are a number of pilots who seem to think "company image" comes way above safety - experienced them myself on a number of occasions. Even had some who were obviously in trouble, even to the extent of asking for an opposite direction landing, but wouldn't say why - we had to ring their ops to find out. If an emergency situation demands the "services" then get them out. You are in the right, not them.

alosaurus
29th Aug 2001, 02:12
Some a/c's fire warning systems are notoriously unreliable;the fire may not have gone out.You were right not to take any chances.In a former life I was involved in the production of a/c...seem to remember two minutes being the certified time that the firewall could restrain the fire(assuming a contained engine failure).If I had landed and not been met by the fire services I would want to know why not.This guy may have been a long way up the stress curve when talking to your ground controller;that is all I can say in his defence. :rolleyes:

29th Aug 2001, 02:45
;) Given hindsight, late night, and a glass of good red wine; all problems are easily solved! :D