PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Medical problems

fader1
3rd Jan 2011, 18:09
Hi Everybody.
Can anyone help me with a problem I can't seem to get an answer to?
I underwent my class 2 medical a few months ago and was refused solely cos I'd been on a heavy painkiller (prescribed codeine) for a neck problem. It's fine now, and I've been off the painkillers for nearly 6 months as the physiotherapy is working so well, but the CAA are asking me to undergo a Medical Flight Test (MFT) to check that I can get in and out of a cockpit unaided and that I can perform basic movements in the cockpit. This is despite the fact that I'm near the end of my training (only solo XC and Skills Test to do) and I've never actually had a problem with mobility!! Seems they can do what they want and, as an AME told me recently, it's them who make up the rules!
AS much as this seems totally unneccessary it looks like I'm going to have to do it nevertheless s I wondered if there was anybody out there who knows anything about a Medical Flight Test and what it entails? (Or indeed any advice on how I can get round this - seems like a real waste of time - and money I can't really afford!)
Thanks, and a happy new year to all.

ShyTorque
3rd Jan 2011, 18:30
Not sure if it's the book answer but I know of a CAA AME who holds a PPL. I'll send you a pm with his details.

fader1
3rd Jan 2011, 19:03
Thanks, ShyTorque, and for the quick reply.
I'll look forward to that.

beany
3rd Jan 2011, 22:06
Hi Fader,

It's difficult to give you specific info without knowing exactly what the neck problem was or is. Was it an injury that's getting better or is it an on-going problem that's chronic?

I stand to be corrected but from what you've said it sounds to me as though the concern was regarding the range of movement that you have in your neck that is concerning the folks at the CAA. I suspect the flight test is to see how your range of movement translates to you safely piloting an aircraft.

Flight tests are conducted for all sorts of conditions and from what I know they don't want to fail you, they're keen to give you the chance to show you can fly safely within your physical capabilities. Please don't worry, see this as an opportunity to get your medical sorted and as a step towards completing your license.

It's annoying but it's one flight and if it has to be done, it's probably easier, quicker and cheaper in the long run to do it rather than fighting against it.

I hope it goes well. Hopefully you'll update us with the outcome.

Best wishes

B

honda cbx
3rd Jan 2011, 23:20
Shy torque, just as Beany says, dont worry about it. I had a similar test flight for a' knee problem.' The flight is just like a normal check ride, honestly.

MR.X99
4th Jan 2011, 01:28
Well first thing you can do is :

1. Get the CAA medical email address.
2. Find a musical track.
3. Make a video of you getting in and out of the airplane,whilst dancing to the music.
4.Email it to the CAA and ask them you are ready for a medical flight test and would like to arrange one. They should get back to you in 3 days or they might just cancel the whole thing. they are bureaucrats not human beings remember.

Good Luck

PS:Just get your NPPL for now and save the aggravation.