PDA

View Full Version : Use of Wing Tip Strobes when on Runway

radar707
2nd Jan 2011, 19:24
We are having a debate about the use of wingtip strobes when on a runway:

Is it a legal requirement to have them illuminated when using a runway for any purpose including crossing or is it just best practice?

I recall an incident at KLAX where a 737 landed on top of an SW4, one of the NTSB recommendations was the mandatory use of wingtip strobes where fitted when using a runway. What we're unsure of is if it is mandatory in the UK

gchangflyer
2nd Jan 2011, 19:57
As far as I know there's no LEGAL requirement to use strobes (Some aircraft, the smaller private ones) aren't even fitted with them. As far as the South African CAAs pronouncement on this (I think it's in AIC 21.2?),strobes are to only be used when on a runway and/or in flight, except when in cloud by night where the flashing may affect the night vision of the crew.

Most airlines' SOPs state that strobes are to be used ANY time you are on a runway, whether you are crossing it,backtracking or taking off or landing, as well as whenever you are in flight.This significantly increases your visibility to other traffic. You are quite right, the recommendation did arise from the 737/Metroliner accident and it makes excellent sense.

Oddly enough, the only airline I've noticed that seems to switch strobes on only once cleared for takeoff is TK...which makes little sense if the primary anti-collision purpose of strobes is considered...

Exaviator
2nd Jan 2011, 20:55
There is no ICAO requirement regarding the use of strobes, however your governing aviation authority may rule otherwise. But, like many of the questions raised on pprune it is a matter of airmanship. Strobes are there to help prevent collision. Either stick to your companies SOPs or let airmanship guide you accordingly. :ok:

Nimer767
4th Jan 2011, 13:10
Navigation Lights : When An Aircraft is On ( preparing for a flight or a maintenance crew working on it etc..)

Beacon Lights : Aircraft in operation , (start up , Push back , taxi , etc..)

STROBE LIGHTS : AIRCRAFT IS FLYING

Sky Wave
4th Jan 2011, 17:32
Navigation Lights : When An Aircraft is On ( preparing for a flight or a maintenance crew working on it etc..)

Beacon Lights : Aircraft in operation , (start up , Push back , taxi , etc..)

STROBE LIGHTS : AIRCRAFT IS FLYING

What is your source?

As far as I'm aware there is no requirement to have Nav lights on during daylight hours.

SW

Ercos
4th Jan 2011, 20:49
The requirements for lights use are found in the AIM 4-3-23. Aircraft position lights must be on when the aircraft is operated on the surface and in-flight between sunset and sunrise. The anti-collision lights must be on during all day or night operations of the aircraft.

The AIM recommends all lights be on when the aircraft is taking or crossing an active runway. This si solely at the discretion of the PIC, though.

Most operators have specific policies on lights. The typical policies I see under Part 135 is as follows:

1. Nav lights on when power is on the aircraft (APU, GPU, or engines running).
2. Rotating beacon one when engines are running.
3. Taxi lights on when clear of the parking ramp.
4. Strobe lights on when taking or crossing an active runway.
5. All lights on for takeoff.
6. Landing or recog lights remain on until 10,000 ft HAA.

Nimer767
4th Jan 2011, 23:39
SW that is correct about the nav lights during day , but at night the should be on for what i have mentioned , the source is ICAO regulations and a lot of companies SOP's
Cheers

atpcliff
5th Jan 2011, 07:36
Hi!

The FAA suggests that you have all lights on (except landing lights) while moving at an airport.

My current company SOPS is ALL lights on while crossing a runway, and all lights on (except landing lights) while lineup and wait, and then ALL lights on when cleared for takeoff.

cliff
HSV

Denti
5th Jan 2011, 09:32
I guess most airlines have very similar SOPs about lights as most have to pass IOSA audits where certain minimum SOPs are required.

Sir George Cayley
7th Jan 2011, 20:38
I can only comment for ops in northwest Europe.

Custom and practice is to switch strobes on when entering a runway either to cross or when lining up.

On receipt of takeoff clearance landing lights go on too.

This procedure is supported by IFALPA and Eurocontrol - see the EAPPRI on their web site.

Sir George Cayley