PDA

View Full Version : About to buy David Clark H10-60 - any reasons not to / alternatives?

SDB73
2nd Jan 2011, 19:15
Thanks for any advice.

To be used mainly in fixed wing singles, like 172, warrior, etc.

I wear glasses, so any advice in regard to that would be great.

Mark 1
2nd Jan 2011, 19:43
Best hearing protection in a light aircraft is with the in-ear headsets like the QT Halo or Clarity Aloft etc..
Some people aren't comfortable with them, but I wouldn't go back to conventional. Glasses don't affect their performance either and audio quality is 1st class.

Nothing wrong with DC headsets, their robust and good quality. It's always a good idea to check out your choice in flight, if you can, before committing to purchase. Second hand DCs also sell well on EBay if you change your mind later.

Makamba
2nd Jan 2011, 19:45
Work great for me. Used them C172 and PA28; all fine. Only in the PA18 the sound seems to be a bit loud.... Possibly due to no muffler and large door/window gaps?

M

Cessna 172S Skyhawk
2nd Jan 2011, 20:02
I just bought a set of Sennheiser HME110 for using in C152 / C172, was suggested to me as they are a little more comfortable than the DC headset.

I intensively researched both before I purchased mine, and different reviews different results, but the DC10-13.4 & the Sennheiser HME 110 rank 1st and 2nd almost everytime.

There are a lot of posts here about headsets, so maybe have a look through and PM someone who has recently purchased one.

Hope this helps, and not just me ranting on cause I bought a headset recently.

trex450
2nd Jan 2011, 20:10
peltor 8006 also very good, if you have a pair of glasses that you can keep just for flying bend the arms up about 30 degrees or so at the end and sit them in the top of the ear cups, saves the pressure on your head and reduces the noise going in the gap created.

maxred
2nd Jan 2011, 20:15
Like Cessna 172, I opted for Sennheiser. I also have some DC, but prefer the Senns.

Good value,excellent ANR, and very light/comfortable:D

Shoestring Flyer
2nd Jan 2011, 20:53
H10-60's perfectly good and very robust in a 1980's type of way and perfectly ok for 172 or similar Spamcan useage. I had a pair for 15years or more.
A couple of years ago I upgraded to Lightspeed Zulu's which are of course in a different league as you would expect in both performance and price!
If H10-60's fit your pocket then they will be fine.

fader1
3rd Jan 2011, 18:37
I got given a pair as a present. No problem at all so far. The overall sound seems to be in the mid to high frequencies but you get used to it. Very clear.

SDB73
3rd Jan 2011, 18:42
Thanks everyone.

Based on the replies so far, I've started looking more seriously at the in-ear headsets, and reading the other thread on the subject. They're starting to look favourite to me!

SDB73
22nd Jan 2011, 16:28
Update.

I struggled to find Clarity Aloft available in the UK, so in the end bailed on the in-ear option and went for the new Bose A20s, which are exceptionally comfortable, and the ANR is outstanding, and noticeably better than the X in my opinion. I'll report back any problems.

IO540
22nd Jan 2011, 17:03
The in-ear headsets need custom earplugs to be made up. I had a Lightspeed Mach 1 for a short while...

The Bose A20 is the biz. Very significantly better than the X which in turn was way better than anything else.

RTN11
22nd Jan 2011, 19:47
Had my David Clarke now for 4 years and 1000 hours, no problems at all. After a very long flight, you do get a bit of a headache due to the tightness around the ears, but only after flying for 4+ hours straight. Very robust, and great value.

TR24
22nd Jan 2011, 19:55
The in-ear headsets need custom earplugs to be made up.

No they don't. I've been using a Clarity Aloft for the past few weeks and it comes with little foam tips that expand in the ear. I've found it an excellent headset. It's really comfortable and great to wear with glasses. Well worth the money IMO.

DX Wombat
22nd Jan 2011, 20:43
Aarrrrrrrrrgh! What number headset thread is this? :confused: :confused:
SDB73, please, PLEASE do a search and have a look at all the other threads on this subject or I shall be forced to treat you to my anti-DC headset rant. :E

IO540
23rd Jan 2011, 13:08
The reason for the custom earplugs was to make sure they stay in as one moves one's head around. The stock earplugs worked fine for me - until they dislodged a bit.

A lot of helmet-wearing pilots wear the in-ear headsets and all those I know get the custom earplugs. Headset Services at Shoreham used to do them; not sure if they still do. They were not cheap.

xj8driver
23rd Jan 2011, 14:20
Capt. Wombat, calm down :=

People are entitled to ask questions, and every so often the subject will be repeated - that's life, and that's what the forum is for. Who knows, maybe you, and everyone else, will learn something new.

TR24
23rd Jan 2011, 15:00
The reason for the custom earplugs was to make sure they stay in as one moves one's head around. The stock earplugs worked fine for me - until they dislodged a bit.

The Lightspeed Mach 1 seems different from Clarity Aloft. CA use 'ear buds' that need to be 'squashed' before inserting them into the ear, they then expand to the shape of the ear canal which blocks noise and keeps them in place meaning no need to a custom earplug.

W2k
23rd Jan 2011, 15:49
Considering how often this comes up it's strange that our mods haven't created a sticky thread for headset discussion/review/questions.