PDA

View Full Version : Ulster Flying Club

Dotalot
30th Dec 2010, 19:58
I plan on starting PPL training with UFC in the new year.
Just wondering if anyone on here has used them, and if so how did you you find them??
I dont a quick search but could only find a couple of threads where people where arguing about the future of the club etc. Is that all sorted out now??

Halfbaked_Boy
30th Dec 2010, 20:14
Hi there,

I can't speak regarding the training as I was never trained there (!), however I did spend a couple of months this Summer while we based one of our aeroplanes there doing some aerial work.

Prices seemed a little higher than average, but the fleet looked in mint condition, with glass cockpittage and the rest. The facilities are excellent - spacious clubroom next to reception (with internet access) and I found it very easy to find the people I wanted.

You mention about threads and the future of the club etc etc, honestly, I cannot comment on that. From talking, there seemed to be a 'little' unrest between some instructors, but I believe this was more down to a conflict of business interest than anything else. Generally, however, I found everyone there easy enough to get on with, and there were a couple of instructors who were great fun to be around.

I apologise for not being able to expand any more, but my experience showed them to be professional, organised, and everybody was on the ball.

I'm sure somebody else will be along to give a much better perspective!

Good luck :ok:

A and C
30th Dec 2010, 22:13
I had a guy who trained with the UFC lease one of my aircraft, for a low time pilot he was a good operator, it is clear that the UFC keep a good standard.

I know this is a sample of one but it is a good indication of the quality of training.

flybymike
30th Dec 2010, 23:18
I think one of the instructors at UFC is a regular on the Flyer forum. You may get more info over there.

JOE-FBS
31st Dec 2010, 09:06
I didn't train there but did rent there a few times in April and was impressed. Details here:

FLYER Forums • View topic - Newtownards (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=63282&p=887132&hilit=newtownards#p887132)

Dotalot
31st Dec 2010, 12:18
Thanks guys, went down to see them thismorning. Met one of the instructors, had a chat and got a look at the aircraft etc.
It does come across as professional and well-run and the people were very friendly so looks like ill be training with them soon.
Cheers

PompeyPaul
31st Dec 2010, 17:41
Flew in just over a year ago. Seemed very smart and well run. Flight school was friendly, aircraft looked good. If I were training there I think I was doing alright.

Although, if memory serves, Ulster doesn't much choice in PPL training ?

the bel
1st Jan 2011, 13:44
I have rented from UFC and had no problems. Aircraft booking is straight forward and facilities are good. Had some flights with good instructors too. There's a hint of some internal wranglings going on but I never really understood what that was about because I generally can't be bothered with that kind of thing and that was good enough to leave me unaffected.

You could do no better anywhere than have John Phelan from Belfast Flying Club instruct you but I don't know if they are taking students - you should def find out.

If you are close to Enniskillen check Amphibious Flying Club too.