PDA

View Full Version : connie v's super connie

peanutter
25th Aug 2001, 06:31
Interested to know what the main differences are between the two types, and how to tell them apart.

Cheers, P.

411A
25th Aug 2001, 10:15
Super-Connie fitted with turbo-compound Wright 3350 engines, more HP for less fuel, more fuel capacity for longer flights. The ultimate was the 1649A Connie, new wing and much more fuel (and very important, oil) for those long 21 (yes thats right)hour flights that were possible. Came along a bit too late and was overtaken by the 707.
The PRT's in the Wright engines tended to overheat in high blower and so were not all that practical. But, it sure went FAST and very smooth.

Tinstaafl
25th Aug 2001, 18:12
My CPL 'engines & systems' lecturer in '84 used to be a F/E on QF's Connies, before moving onto the 707 & 747

He said they were the best 3 engine aircraft Qantas ever had. :D

[ 25 August 2001: Message edited by: Tinstaafl ]

PaperTiger
25th Aug 2001, 19:22
The 049 to 749 models are about 20ft shorter than Super Connies so visually the curvature of the fuselage is more apparent.
Most of the extra length was added forward of the wing so the Connies look more 'stubby' from the side. And the SC's turbochargers slung underneath the engine nacelles are easy to spot.
The Starliner has square wingtips.

411A
26th Aug 2001, 05:19
PaperTiger---
Interesting about your comment regarding "turbochargers". The Wright R3350-EA1 engines did not have turbochargers, they had three Power Recovery Turbines, driven by exhaust and connected by a fluid drive to the crankshaft for added HP.

Tinstaafl---
Just had a conversation with a retired USAF F/E who operated Connies and he mentioned that in 3300 hours on the beast, he had only one engine failure. Must be some sort of record. They always cruised in low blower and every two hours shifted from low to high and back to low blower to desludge. I found the 1649A a great aircraft. Would run out of oil before it ran out of fuel.

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: 411A ]

Tinstaafl
26th Aug 2001, 14:10
With their power recovery turbines & supercharging I've often thought that this sort of engine is a form of 'missing link' in an evolution from conventional piston to turbine engines.

If the valves were to remain open, the pistons disconnected & we could keep the flame alight it would just about be a turboprop! :p

411A
26th Aug 2001, 21:40
Not only are these engines "missing links" as Tinstaafl opines, but the Curtis Electric props that they rotated (on some models) were an interesting combination. The F/E was the KEY flight crew member.

criticalmass
27th Aug 2001, 14:43
411A,

Appreciate your comment. I understand one saying went "the pilots point it but the F/E actually flies it!"