PDA

View Full Version : european LSA

IanPZ
29th Dec 2010, 00:05
Hi all.

So, I keep reading references in various places about easa looking at a European LSA equivalent with a weight limit closer to the US LSA, but not the 750 or 1200kg limit mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

My understanding is that this is really about allowing microlights like the eurostar or c42 to take the slightly higher mtow that is acceptable in the US without them having to either be homebuilt, or take the more restrictive rules about permits etc of the light aircraft.

BUT.....

I have looked around, searched Google, tried to read easa documents (not easy) and I can't find any specific details about it at all.

Does anyone have any information that could help enlighten me?

Thanks a load. IPZ

Rod1
29th Dec 2010, 10:10
Try searching for ELA1. Be warned however, that this does not exist yet and its “final form” is far from clear. The true European equivalent is CS-VLA;

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/TechnicalLeaflets/Building,%20Buying%20or%20Importing/TL%201.13%20Guide%20to%20CSVLA.pdf

This is available now, and is the design code to which most of the market leading US LSA’s was originally designed to. The advantages of VLA aircraft against US LSA are;

No speed limit
No restriction on CS props or retractable UC
750Kg weight limit

You can buy a factory built VLA, or a home built aircraft assessed to the same design code.

Rod1

IanPZ
29th Dec 2010, 11:07
Rod1, thanks for that. I'm just learning (in a microlight - Eurostar) and the whole area seems to be shifting day by day. I'm fascinated to see how it ends. For a while, I was put off from learning until the outcome was clearer, but it seems there's always something changing, so decided to just get on with it....

Will read the PDF, and post again if I am still just as confused.

Thanks

IPZ

Rod1
29th Dec 2010, 13:16
Micros are governed by a different design code – Section S. You might want to have a look at the LAA site generally, there are lots of machines which are broadly similar.

Rod1

IanPZ
29th Dec 2010, 13:23
Rod1, Thanks for that. I started reading the pdf you pointed me towards, then had to stop for a while to wait for my b rain to cool down!

I then found a link in it, and went on to EASA class certifications and read more there.Still not sure my brain will survive though :-)

At some point, I suppose the answer is to find a local group of the LAA and have a good chat, but will plough on through. It's all interesting.

Thanks again

patowalker
29th Dec 2010, 14:25
Micros are governed by a different design code – Section S.

While this was true in the past, I think it is no longer the case. British Civill Airworthiness Requirements have become an anachronism, because most of our microlights originate in Europe, where they design to CS-VLA, to enable ULM, ELA1, LSA and VLA versions of the same aircraft.

I would suggest that CS-VLA expertise is one reason why the most modern three-axis microlights are in the LAA's fleet rather than the BMAA's.