PDA

View Full Version : Building a new Group Flying website, help needed

SDB73
28th Dec 2010, 21:16
Hi All,

While searching for group shares, I've been frustrated that there isn't a really good site for advertising / finding / managing shares, so have set about putting one together, and have the basics in place.

I could do with a bit of help and would appreciate a PM if you can assist in the following areas :

1) Beta testers. If you have a flying group and fancy a bit of beta testing, I'd be eternally greatful!

2) Manufacturer / Model database. Anyone know if there is an exhaustive database somewhere which has all makes / models of GA style aircraft (heli and fix wing if possible)

3) Feature suggestion, are very welcome.

IanPZ
28th Dec 2010, 22:17
Hi,

Don't know about light aircraft, but the BMAA magazine lists the type and number of all microlights in the UK (flexwing and 3 axis). Since 3 axis microlights are becoming very popular, and pretty much nowhere has them for hire as it was illegal until very recently, there are quite a lot of syndicates for microlights.

Not sure if you can get the info directly from the BMAA, but I suspect that if nothing else, they would send you an example mag, or someone who is a member can (I may have a few to get rid of soon. Just catching up on reading!).

IPZ

kevkdg
28th Dec 2010, 22:26
aircraft shares, boat shares, aircraft booking system, group management tools GetItWithMe (http://www.getitwithme.com/uk)

Aircraft for sale (http://www.afors.com/)

SDB73
29th Dec 2010, 00:05
Thanks Ian.

Kev, yes agreed, getitwithme.com was the best one I could find, but I think there's room for improvement.

MR.X99
29th Dec 2010, 09:09
I might be able to help a bit JANES AIRCRAFT HANDBOOK is one option also there is the aircraft bluebook available for used aircraft brokers.Controller website has most types listed.
It doesn,t have to be to exhaustive it will grow all its own. Make sure you put in a section for those looking for folks to share costs on touring trips. Time builders etc.

GOOD IDEA.

SDB73
29th Dec 2010, 12:23
Thanks a lot Mr X,

The time-builders / shared cost trips, is a great idea which I hadn't even considered. Thank you.

I'll look into the resources you mentioned.

Agreed also it will grow on its own, but would like to get as much of a head start as possible.

Thanks a lot for your help.

IanPZ
29th Dec 2010, 14:05
Here's an idea. (not sure if such a thing already exists). How about adding the ability for people to create groups as well. If they want to form a group, they could advertise their location, preferred airfields, and kind of aircraft they are considering. May help attract people who are looking for a group where none yet exists.

Good for you for thinking of this stuff. IPZ

SDB73
29th Dec 2010, 14:53
Hi Ian,

Yeah, that was exactly the type of reason I decided to build a new site.

I want to propose groups at my airfield, and set a radius I'm willing to travel for a group. Search for groups on a map, and by aircraft type, etc.

I also want to be able to look down a list and see exactly what aircraft, how many people, and what airfield it's at, at a glance, without having to carefully read the titles where one says "Friendly group, at Fairoaks", and another says "Piper Warrior, lots of availability".

Speaking of availability, I'd like to be able to view in a bar graph, the level of availability historically, which can come from the inbuilt online booking system, etc.

There's a whole bunch of really cool stuff to add in. It's a nice xmas break project while the weather's rough, and it's actually getting pretty close to beta now!

Whether anyone will actually use it, is another matter! ;)

SDB73
31st Dec 2010, 15:13
If you have the time and inclination, you should be able to rate the shortlisted logos!

Vote | 99designs (http://99designs.com/logo-design/vote-tybgc5)

Site previews coming soon.

MacLaren1
31st Dec 2010, 19:01
Much needed!:D

M1ghtyDuck
3rd Jan 2011, 03:41
Just want to add my support for this venture! I voted on the logos, keep up the good work it's very needed!

N707ZS
3rd Jan 2011, 08:33
Take a look at this site. Some Spanish some English. Hope its what you are after.

Portal de Aviación Ultraligera - Ultralight Aviation Portal (http://www.ultraligero.net/index.htm)

Click on Ultraligeros and then you have A to Z.

SDB73
3rd Jan 2011, 10:31
Thanks a lot guys,

I'm gradually getting there.

If you're interested in a sneak peak and giving me some comments, send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you details as soon as there's something to look at.