PDA

View Full Version : question for 727 driver

DanJ
3rd Jun 2001, 10:07
Hi folks. Today at work, we had a fully loaded 727 ready for push, and whammo, all the oxygen masks deploy! Flight was of course cancelled, causing me to get yelled at by lil old blue haired ladies..and lug way too many heavy bags..lol ANYWAYS, the Captain told us in ops that unfortunately, the SO had hit a "wrong" button, by accident, causing the O2 masks to drop. My question to those in the know... what the heck would cause this? In 7years I've never heard of a mask deployment due to pilot error, but I have heard of some from equipment failures. I do know my way around the SO's panel a bit, from fueling, APU training and so on, and would like to make sur I never could inadvertanly cause such a thing to happen myself. Any info appreciated. Thanks DanJ

neil armstrong
3rd Jun 2001, 12:31
My 727 doesnt have these masks (cargo) , but some(maybe all,i don't know) jets have a possibility to drop the masks manualy.
this could be required when you have smoke but the cabin press. is to low to auto deploy the masks.

Neil

I Kid
3rd Jun 2001, 13:55
On our ( sorry! Neils 727's ) the only switch that has any connection with the Pax. Oxygen masks is the supply on/off confirmation switch, this switch does not manually deploy the masks. ( on ours Neil its situated on the right of the panel near the pressurisation controls and is deactivated now ).

RGDS

DownIn3Green
3rd Jun 2001, 16:09
The answer to your question is don't touch anything if you don't know what it does and you haven't been trained on it.

Seriously, the 727-100 has 2 ways to deploy the masks manually.

1. Below the APU panel is a "T" handle that if pulled up will mechanically drop the masks.

2. On the FE Panel, there is a switch located upper center, that is wired in the "OFF" position. Breaking the wire and turning this switch on will electrically deploy the masks.

Both of these methods will cause the little orange light next to the switch on the FE panel to turn on, indicating the pax o2 has been turned on.

On the 200 (and some 100's) the "T" handle is not installed.

Hope this helps.

I Kid
3rd Jun 2001, 16:13
Exactly, After a good BANG whats better than a good sniff to get ya back to sleep again ??? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

DanJ
4th Jun 2001, 01:58
Thanks for the reply gents..

TR4A
4th Jun 2001, 05:29
DownIn3Green said "On the 200 (and some 100's) the "T" handle is not installed."

I have never been on the -100 but was a plumber on the 727-200. All the -200 that I flew had the "T" Handle. The manual control handle is located on the flight engineer's auxilary panel. The guarded switch should be below the oxygen gauges on the FE's upper panel.

DownIn3Green
4th Jun 2001, 06:22
TR,

You could be right. I've flown so many different models of the 727 that I can't remember. I do know that some 200's don't have the "T" handle installed, but others could have it.

In any case, it's pretty hard for a properly trained F/E to trip the system unless there is a malfunction in the system itself.

DanJ
4th Jun 2001, 08:20
In any case, it's pretty hard for a properly trained F/E to trip the system unless there is a malfunction in the system itself.

Captain said the S/O was on still on his probation? so perhaps he was rather green.
Not making excuses, just providing addl info.

neil armstrong
4th Jun 2001, 20:11
I KID
There mine and i can do with them what i want(what means as little as possible) :)
see ya
Neil

I Kid
5th Jun 2001, 03:30
Neil, don't be selfish ! gimme one 2 play with. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Saab340Pilot
7th Jun 2001, 22:22
On the Jetstream 31 I used to fly there was a knob that when turned clockwise checked the PAX O2 system but when turned counterclockwise dropped the "rubber jungle." Needless to say several Captains made that easy mistake...