PDA

View Full Version : dme arc approaches

Max Steel
24th Aug 2001, 17:09
Anyone know the formula for working the above out.

Regards

Max :eek: :cool: :D

Rotorbike
24th Aug 2001, 17:34
Ninety degrees to the radial you are crossing and turn 10 degrees every 10 degrees.

Does that make any sense???

:) :) :)

doggonetired
24th Aug 2001, 17:41
Can anybody remind me of the formulas for radius of turn at differing speeds and rates and distance travelled?
Many thanks in advance.

Tinstaafl
25th Aug 2001, 05:37
Rule of thumb: TAS/200 = lead distance to commence the turn to join the arc.

If joining from an outbound track you'll need to turn 90 deg + a bit more - say 100 deg.

If joining from an inbound track you'll need to turn 90 - a bit eg 80 deg.

Fly the arc in a series of short segments and not as a continuous turn.

Once in the arc a comparison of rate of closure vs DME dist can help you decide if you need to turn a bit more or a bit less to remain inside arc tolerance. Min rate of closure occurs at the point of closest approach.

Rule of thumb to find the lead radial/bearing to commence the turn to intercept the final (or any track for that matter):

Using the lead distance found earlier, on whiz wheel

Lead Distance = lead angle
------------- = ---------
DME arc dist. = 60

Another way to express this is to divide 60 by the DME arc dist then multiply by the Lead Distance eg a 12 DME arc, lead dist .6 nm.

60/12 = 5. 5 x .6 = 3.6 deg --> round up to 5 deg lead angle

Warlock2000
25th Aug 2001, 12:12
I find the best way is to let the autopilot do it!

Dan Winterland
25th Aug 2001, 12:22
Try remembering the formulae while flying a tricky procedure in real IMC and turbulence, you will probably find you can't. So try what I used to teach, the TLAR (That Looks About Right) method.

To approach the arc, just ease on if entry angle is less than 45 degrees. If more, give it about 2 DME anticipation at about 120 Knts. To maintain, point the VOR/ADF needle at the wingtip (imagination required for swept wing aircraft) and change heading towards the facility a few degrees every 15 - 20 secs.

To adjust - if you need to cut into the arc, point the needle just ahead of the wingtip until the DME is correct. To widen, needle behind the wingtip.

KISS.

wysiwyg
25th Aug 2001, 12:46
Agree with Warlock, draw a pretty picture using the FMC and engage LNAV.

mustafagander
25th Aug 2001, 15:14
If you lead your turn by 1% of G/S you will stay within your +/- 2nm tolerance. Allow a bit for wind if it's strong. Don't get too academic, K.I.S.S. Tracking inbound to the aid underturn a few degrees, outbound overturn a few. :)