PDA

View Full Version : Anybody knows what the numbers are?

chinookra
25th Dec 2010, 08:53
Hello guys,
I am preparing for Private pilot test.
I tried to find out the meaning of numbers that is in sectional chart but I couldn't. Please help me.

1. frequency?
"CTC PALM BEACH APP WITHIN 20 NM ON 124.6 317.4"

What is the frequency 317.4?

2. 19 and 40 are elevation and longest rwy?

WELLINGTON(pvt)
19-40

Thanks and regards, chinookra

Jan Olieslagers
25th Dec 2010, 09:29
Welcome to this place! You might assist potential answerers by indicating your country, and/or the issuer of the map that is confusing you.

BackPacker
25th Dec 2010, 10:25
Actually, with regards to the airport/runway description, I think you'll find the explanation in the "legend" section of the map itself. But my gut feeling would be the elevation and the length of the longest runway (in 100s of feet).

As for 317.4, I guess it's a UHF frequency, which is used by the military.

172driver
25th Dec 2010, 11:57
First off, welcome to PPrune!

BackPacker has answered the frequency question.

As for the other figures, assuming you are referring to KEGT (Wellington Muni. KS), then the 42 (not 40) does indeed stand for the longest rwy in hundreds of feet. Where you get the '19' from I don't know, cannot see that on the sectional. There may be another 'Wellington' (aside from the one in NZ), so perhaps we are not looking at the same figures.

PS: Jan, the OP pretty clearly states his location. If - in aviation circles - you don't know where Vero Beach is.......

Merry Xmas to all!

patowalker
25th Dec 2010, 12:57
It would have to be some sectional to include Palm Beach and Wellington NZ :)

Wellington Aero Club - Wellington Airpark Palm Beach Florida (http://www.floridaairporthomes.com/wellington%20airpark.php)

alphaLaura
25th Dec 2010, 13:45
The 19-40 means that it is 19' AMSL and the runway is 4000 ft long.

If you are planning to fly to Wellington Aero Club, it's a great airfield, take lots of photos!

chinookra
25th Dec 2010, 16:45
Thank you all..Merry Christmas!!

Aerials
26th Dec 2010, 15:25
317.4 (kHz) is an NDB. (Non-directional beacon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-directional_beacon))

Jan Olieslagers
26th Dec 2010, 15:50
I can't be sure, but it would seem strange to me that an NDB frequency should have a decimal fraction. A few NDB's do go to half a kHz, like MAK not so far from here at 360,5 and there is a marker at EBOS at 399,5 ; but I never saw other than 0 or 5 after the decimal. Are there actually ADF's that can be tuned to 317,4 kHz? Or could one get close enough by tuning 317,5?

Also, if it were an NDB there ought to be an indicator of 2 or 3 characters - no mention of that, either. So to me it seems an UHF frequency rather, like others thought. Whether UHF or NDB: not much practical use to today's recreational pilot.

SNS3Guppy
26th Dec 2010, 15:50
The communications box on the Miami sectional in question doesn't describe an NDB frequency, but rather a UHF frequency.

FltPlan.com Route Explorer (http://wh94.fltplan.com/route/index.cfm?AirportSingle=t&maptype=blank&airport_id=FD38&mapservicetype=sectionals_esri&MapHeight=99pc&MapWidth=99pc)

You'll find the communication box in question located over the water, above and to the right of West Palm Beach; a white box with a magenta outline.

Airport elevation is nineteen feet, with a four thousand foot runway.

Aerials
26th Dec 2010, 23:07
Chaps, you may be right about those figures being UHF. Jan got me looking at the link I provided and reading it again - properly. Apologies for the wrong steer!

SNS3Guppy
27th Dec 2010, 02:32
UHF frequencies aren't something that most in light airplanes consider, because most light aircraft don't use UHF/FM equipment.

Some government aircraft do, and military aircraft also have that capability, and often operate under VFR.

When flying VFR, I always like to have IFR charts, as well. These provide additional useful information, and can be especially handy if one makes a forced landing. I've been stuck at a remote airstrip in the past, and have managed to get personnel and parts coming my way by using the IFR chart to locate ATC frequencies. These frequencies allowed me to pass messages using overhead airline traffic. This isn't something that instructors often teach, but I've always encouraged students to carry IFR charts along with their VFR.

I also encourage students to carry a roadmap. A roadmap provides additional useful detail that isn't on a sectional chart. In areas such as Kansas, where towns can be identified by the name on the water tower, having detail of all the towns along the route can help stay oriented. In mountainous areas, roads generally tend to follow drainages and passes, and can be useful for plotting good routes from A to B. Keeping track of roads also provides useful information in the event of a forced landing, and planning a cross country through the mountains with a forced landing site in mind is always a wise idea.

In the US, I also always recommend students use a Flight Guide. These are handy references for runway orientation, frequencies, and airport information (including fuel numbers, local hotels, etc).

Not everything on every information source will be useful (UHF frequencies, for example), but one must still know the chart, and having comprehensive information available that doesn't get fully used is better than not having enough info.