PDA

View Full Version : 747 ON A BASIC PPL?

PIC
28th Jan 2001, 16:51
HI GUYS,

I know someone who is currently learning to fly an x-fighter-jet ('Albertros') on a basic PPL Licence. Does that mean that one can fly a rated airliner on a PPL on VFR, asumming he/she will not be carrying any passengers on board, and is accompanied by a second pilot (another basic licence holdee).

Please help.

Thanks.

JJflyer
28th Jan 2001, 18:06
A very very rich fellow decided to compete with his filthy rich bud about who has ratings in the biggest airplane...

First the B737 then the B727 and finally other fellow topped and got a B747 typerating all with Multi-engine Inst PPL.
These 2 are Japanese and attended the same school in US where I did my 727 training.

JJ

solari
28th Jan 2001, 21:02
I'm obviously missing something, but isn't there something about weight limits for a PPL? I thought it was 5700 kg.

BritishMidlandHopeful
28th Jan 2001, 21:28
5700 kg for the basic PPL, single piston engine. With twin rating and IR that all changes.. PPL dictates no carrying of passengers, so in theory..you could get a 747 type rating, so long as it was empty and not flying any commercial route and you paid the cost of the hire...by my word what a whopper of a bill that would be..

BMH

Squawk 8888
28th Jan 2001, 22:13
Don't know UK rules but here on the good side of the pond a PPL is blanket endorsed for light/non HP aeroplanes, anything else requires type endorsement. I suppose if one had too much money and needed to get rid of it in a hurry... :)

Captain Airclues
28th Jan 2001, 23:54
To fly a 747 in any capacity in the UK you would need a type rating. Before you can apply for a 747 type rating you must have passed the ATPL theory exams, have at least 100 hours PIC, have a multi-engine instrument rating, and have completed a multi-crew co-operation course. You would then have to complete the type theory course and exams, undertake the required training course, and then take a skill test on the 747.
Having done all this, you might as well just apply for a CPL and be done with it. :)

Airclues

mutt
29th Jan 2001, 06:10
I know a guy in Boeing who is B747 typed on a FAA PPL.

pigboat
29th Jan 2001, 07:21
There used to be a senior Captain at AC flying the 747 with a Canadian Senior Commercial Pilots License. I think he may still be there. The SCPL was abolished some years ago, but he must have had some kind of grandfather clause not to have been required to hold an ATPL.

greg1
30th Jan 2001, 13:23
Where I come from, a basic PPL will allow you to fly light (up to 5,700kg), single-engine, land, fixed-wing aeroplanes, during day, above VFR minima (yeah, I know, no night VFR over here yet)

You can fly anything that falls within the above "specs", provided you get a couple of hours of fam flying with someone certified to show you the plane. Anything above that, you need to get type-rated for the aircratf itself. IFR etc are "certified pilot skills" and do not interfere with WHAT you can fly, only with HOW you fly it.

So I guess if you get rated to fly the 747 on a beefed-up PPL, you can also carry as many people as it holds... Snag is, you cannot charge for the ride cause you're still on a PPL, not a CPL. ;)

Boss Raptor
30th Jan 2001, 17:07
The 'catch all' that I am aware of, certainly in the UK, is that aircraft of this size have an emergency descent/mach run as part of the flight test - and as you cannot be above FL245 without an I/R you cannot complete the test...regardless of whether the guy next to you has an I/R you need to be legal in that scenario...

Captain Airclues
30th Jan 2001, 19:45
Boss

The LST could be completed on a simulator. However, JAR-FCL 1.250 a(2) states "An applicant for the issue of a type rating for a multi-pilot aeroplane shall have a valid multi-engine instrument rating".

Airclues

CallYouBack
30th Jan 2001, 22:00
Pigboat

He may have been senior, but he certainly wasn't flying it as a captain, in command. He may have been a second officer. Some of those guys on the 'classic', when they were around, were permanent in the position and only needed a valid commercial or 'senior commercial' to do the s/o job. Or he may have been a first officer, although highly unlikely. Many f/o's on the 747 bid down, by choice from command positions on smaller equipment for short periods in order to fly the 747 for a while. And the minimum license for an f/o was a senior commercial, which as you point out, is no longer a Canadian license.

And 'seniority wise', the permanent s/o's were relatively senior to the majority of pilots on the seniority list who were flying other equipment with a window seat.

No such thing as 'grandfather rights' to fly in command with anything less than an ATPL. It's not only a company rule, it's TRANSPORT CANADA's law as well.

paulo
2nd Feb 2001, 16:38
"So I guess if you get rated to fly the 747 on a beefed-up PPL, you can also carry as many people as it holds..."

s******... so, here's me and my 500 friends, and it would be okay if they are just cost sharing.

Anyone know what the wet rate is on a B747?

:-)