PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Vectors

mutt
22nd Dec 2010, 14:43
Going into Dubai last night we were told that we were going to hold at DESDI for 16 minutes, this was later replaced by vectors with decreasing altitudes, it was a beautiful night and this was so much more enjoyable than a holding pattern. But I'm curious, what is the advantage to ATC of providing vectors like this rather than allowing aircraft descent in the DESDI hold, and then make the approach to RWY 12?

Mutt

Guy D'ageradar
22nd Dec 2010, 15:39
It's more of a grossly inadequate system than anything else.

Both Dubai and the UAE ACC's preceding sector(s) are severely limited in tactical options and airspace - the only method that Dubai has to control traffic flow is through varying the arrival rate at Desdi and Bubin. This can easily lead to either overload for the arrivals controller or wasted space on final if not correctly managed. Rather than waste landing gaps, most will allow enough traffic into the TMA to give a continuous flow to the director with a moderate amount of vectors, allowing the spacing to be relatively regular (A380s excepted!). As usual, go-arounds, emergencies and a frustratingly large number of inept pilots from certain regions either ignoring or insisting on confirming instructions all add to the fun!

While this is far from optimal, it is currently the only way that we can manage the constantly increasing traffic levels and total lack of flow control. Reviews are underway with an aim to improve procedures / runway capacities but as with all things in this part of the world.....don't hold your breath!

Glad you enjoyed the view :ok:

Guy.

ATCO1962
22nd Dec 2010, 15:59
I hope someone with influence reads this because there seems to be this fantasy hereabouts that we can accept any number of aircraft in this increasingly busy and complex region with no meaningful flow control. I cannot, for the life of me, work out why the higher-ups, with access to the stats I can pull up, aren't desperately putting together an action plan that contains slot times, flow control measures and a dedicated flow control unit. If the orders for aircraft that the various Gulf operators have made come to fruition, there's going to be some interesting bad WX days and overload scenarios that are going to force the issue. Good luck to you guys/gals at the front end but bear with us; we are sinking!

zkjaws
22nd Dec 2010, 16:22
ATCO

Sounds like it's time for you to dust off your train control ticket and take up that retirement job in Gissy.

Jump ship like the rest of us rats :)

ATCO1962
23rd Dec 2010, 13:02
Don't tempt me jaws! And just how is the frozen tundra in the Emerald Isle? Cold enough for ya?

zkjaws
23rd Dec 2010, 17:07
Heading to minus 10 again tonight - and we are on the warm side of the country.

A trip to The Land of the Long White Cloud is just around the corner for some Walsh R & R, etc :ok: