PDA

View Full Version : English language and summer job

JUT
22nd Dec 2010, 14:16
In view of improving english language of French students, is there places in the UK, such as aeroclubs / museums, which could offer summer jobs to 18-20years old students?

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Dec 2010, 16:08
If well organised, such a scheme could serve the double purpose of improving the level of French in the UK.

znww5
22nd Dec 2010, 16:56
"If well organised, such a scheme could serve the double purpose of improving the level of French in the UK." Now that would be an amazing achievement!

You could try places such as the Imperial War Museum at Duxford (near Cambridge) and Hendon (North London) or the RAF museum at Cosford near Shrewsbury. I'm sure other people will have further suggestions.

niknak
22nd Dec 2010, 16:57
JUT

Brilliant idea which I personally wholly endorse, but for every student you could provide I could supply you with at least 10 or more equally keen "hanger rats"
(14 - 20 year olds willing to be involved in anything, often unpaid, just to get some experience and fulfill their desire to get on in aviation).

If there was some sort of "exchange programme" for the above "Hanger Rats" to go to France, it would be even better, but it's all a question of who is going to set it up, regulate it and fund it.

I don't have the experience or the means, but it would be nice to think that someone in AOPA UK and AOPA France could make the first move.

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Dec 2010, 17:06
No rats about my hangers!

(or: never mind the level of French, first consider the level of English in the UK)

JUT
24th Dec 2010, 14:13
Thanks for the infos znww5, I will try there. Quite a few candidates for the French air force fail their entrance through their poor level of English. Apart from practicing in an aviation environement I don't see another way.
For sure, the OAPA and the French military colleges (intrance preparation to air force) should lead the way.
Needless to say it would be also good for some french private pilots who are battling to understand airline communications in english !!

Jan Olieslagers
24th Dec 2010, 14:44
No need to actually cross the channel. When preparing my own R/T exam, I spent a good deal of time listening to tower and approach frequencies at Belgian airports - they all do all of their communications in English, and good English it is, as far as I can judge, most of the time - and, almost unconsciously, formulated my own replies in each conversation. Comparing my own ideas to what the pro's said taught me a lot.

Be warned, though: listening to ATC is illegal in Belgium as it is in the UK. Not too much to worry about, our average policeperson can't tell a scanner apart from an MP3-player or from an i-phone, but do NOT mention the word scanner to them, they do know that scanners can intercept their communications and that's what they don't like. Quite understandable, after all.

JUT
24th Dec 2010, 15:17
That is an excellent idea Jan Olieslagers, for R/T practicing I will convey the advise. For general English (and aeronautical ) practice though a good immersion brings a lot.

Jan Olieslagers
24th Dec 2010, 15:47
That sounds like you are more concerned about the ELP test - that's one hurdle I have yet to pass, so I have no advice to give there. The one thing I decided is to take this test in France - no examiner would be more indulgent.

JUT
24th Dec 2010, 16:52
Quite right Jan Olieslagers, the EPL test is an obstacle to the french student wanting to pass the test to join the air force here. But also the new french private fligher having to communicate with the control or understanding airline pilots.

MartinCh
28th Dec 2010, 02:55
I once read personal ad in Sailplane & Gliding magazine about such exchange of youngsters, or rather, someone looking for family to adopt them for summer. Not exactly heavy RT in the gliding scene, but aviation and low cost fun, nonetheless.

If you want to spend summer in the UK and have or would like to have exposure to gliding, then ask the big gliding clubs. They always need 'helping hand' and you should get some rides in private two-seaters or low cost gliding lessons (winch launch, cheaper but thrilling in the beginning). Lasham, Booker, Bidford, Deeside/Aboyne (->Scotland, cannae geddit oot yer heid) would be the bigger ones. http://www.gliding.co.uk (http://www.gliding.co.uk/) Big clubs would tend to have basic on-site housing as well.

Alternatively, LiveATC.net (http://www.liveatc.net) is useful website for airport frequencies. Some may be bit daunting (and showing you the real life), i.e. New York approach, some more relaxed, but if elsewhere around the globe, you should check the local time of day.

Oh la la, finally French fast jet jocks are required to have good aviation English? :} :p

duxfordflyer
28th Dec 2010, 18:44
If your looking for work in museums, Duxford as an earlier poster suggested is a great place to work. They take on around 10 summer seasonal staff a year in a customer facing role working alongside permanent staff. Summer season officially lasts from april till october, although many do what they can and they are flexible. It is good fun, working in an aviation environment and also will be a great opportunity to improve your english (and technical english too). Other museums or airfields/airports for that matter must do the same, the industry lends itself to summer seasonal workers, just get looking. Job ads for various stuff will probably appear in march. Good luck!

JUT
31st Dec 2010, 17:46
Great infos about summer jobs at Duxford museum Duxfordflyer. And the gliding clubs too, MartinCh. I will try there. As you mention, French fast jets jocks are required to pass an ELP test when they join the air force !( some I heard failed only on that subject !) but on the civilian side, RT courses in English is only just starting.
It is indeed exellent to practice the language in an aeronautical environement !
Live ATC.net is great ! it gives a good idea of what lays ahead as far as RT is concerned, but also a good training.
I was amazed to hear communication in Orly sometimes in French ! Could that cause problem to other aircrafts in the circuit ?

Jan Olieslagers
31st Dec 2010, 17:53
I do seem to remember a near miss at Charles-de-Gaulle airport, when a taxiing plane got cleared in French to do something that endangered an equally taxiing Speedbird whose crew hadn't understood though they were supposed to. Must be a couple of years ago, though, perhaps to be found in another section of this (surprisingly vast!) forum.

NB perhaps 2 or 3 years ago I was listening at Toulouse Blagnac, and observed tower speaking French to F-registered planes, and (fairly good) English to the others. Was quite funny when a G-regged ATR turned up with an obviously French-speaking pilot...