PDA

View Full Version : A winters tail!

vee-tail-1
22nd Dec 2010, 00:01
It’s been like Narnia down here in rural Pembrokeshire, cold but beautiful, with every tree and hedge covered in twinkling snow and ice. Bit special today as it is the winter solstice and there was a spectacular partial eclipse early this morning.

After four days of being cut-off by ice, the council snow plough reached our village today and I drove the 4x4 down our half mile farm track for a shopping trip.

But half way along the track there in the snow lay a big bird; it was a buzzard and recently dead. I stopped the car and got out to pick up the bird, which seemed as if it was asleep. Its feathers and colouring were magnificent, the bright yellow legs and sharp talons, the hooked nose and big eyes. I tried to blow air into its nostrils, and attempted to warm its frozen body, but to no avail, and it seemed to me that the poor creature had expired from the intense cold last night. I put the buzzard carefully to the side of the track, intending to give it a decent burial on return from my shopping expedition.

But the timing and the place of this event got me thinking. Many folk around here believe that the animal world does not exist independently of humans, and sometimes interacts in ways that are significant.

Long ago while travelling around S America I befriended some native Indians, who told me that everyone has a ‘medicine animal’ that is a sort of spiritual protector. It seemed like a bit of fun at the time, but apparently my ‘medicine animal’ is a buzzard.

On return I picked up the buzzard and took her to the farm, and suddenly my aviation training kicked in. Something wrong here… this bird did not just die of the cold and as a result fell out of the tree. In fact the sort of big tree that buzzards prefer was some distance away from where she was found.

Not only that but this bird had died with full up elevator and a bit of right aileron. The tail feathers were fully extended and at full up inclination. Buzzards hunt by stooping; coming down in a high speed dive with wings partially folded a bit like a space shuttle approach& landing. Further investigation showed that the still tightly closed talons held tufts of feathers, and then I realised that her neck was broken. This was not a death by hypothermia, it was an aircraft accident caused by pilot error; most importantly it was a message from my medicine animal to me.

No it’s not the lunchtime sherry talking! In spite of myself I believe in this stuff, and in this case the warning to me is most appropriate. Over a year since I last flew and my flying chum also a bit rusty since recovering from a horrible accident. Yet we were proposing to take to the air without refresher instruction and in an aeroplane that has spent the last 18 months sitting unused in a cold hangar.

The message to me was loud and clear, even the most accomplished flyers can foul up and aviation is very intolerant of mistakes. That buzzard is going to get the most respectful send off and grateful thanks from me and my family. :)

BackPacker
22nd Dec 2010, 07:27
The scenario might not have been pilot error at all, but simply frozen controls which prevented the bird from pulling out of the dive.

Did you check what de-icing procedures were used before the bird attempted flight?;)

Message stays the same though. Safety first. It's better being down here wishing you were up there than the other way around. Thou shalt not fly with an aircraft that is not airworthy. And so on.

IO540
22nd Dec 2010, 08:20
The engine may be trashed after 18 months, too - unless preserved.

onetrack
22nd Dec 2010, 08:52
I've never heard of such a thing. Birds just don't crash due to piloting error, they are built to do things aeronautically, that nothing that man builds, can do.
Ever watched a bird flutter around a tree? - flitting from branch to branch? - flying into a bush, then turning upside down to investigate the underside of leaves for bugs?
It's incredible what a performance they can produce, and never fall out of a tree, or make a crash landing.
I've watched an eagle make a strike on a rabbit, only 25 metres from where I was working. My machine disturbed the rabbit, and he took off. The eagle pounced in a dive, hit the rabbit, and the rabbit was dead in an instant.
I went over to take a look, and the rabbit had a hole in its skull. What an amazing display of accuracy and power! The eagle just landed nearby and waited until I was gone to collect their prey .
The only instance I've heard of birds killing themselves, is swans landing on shiny new, silver-coloured CGI roofs of buildings in the Outback, on moonlit nights. They apparently mistake the silver roofs for stretches of water.

BackPacker
22nd Dec 2010, 09:10
And how do you think that that mighty eagle learned how to strike that rabbit perfectly in the first place? Or do you really think that that skill was available straight from the birth?

I have seen many kittens misjudging their jump from couch to couch, chicks misjudge their ability to fly already and fall out of the nest, grown horses misjudge their jump and break something and so on and so forth.

Animals make mistakes, just like humans do. And sometimes these mistakes cause them to break things. Or worse.

2high2fastagain
22nd Dec 2010, 09:46
one-track
...well the bird that flew into my office window yesterday and expired on the floor must have demonstrated pilot error (if only he'd had his TCAS switched on and observed the low flying rule...)

Kolossi
22nd Dec 2010, 10:04
vee-tail-1 - a great story, with a helpful reminder, and very well told. :ok:

A happy festive period and safe flying to all.

IO540
22nd Dec 2010, 10:21
if only he'd had his TCAS switched on

He'd need a forward facing radar altimeter ;)

gasax
22nd Dec 2010, 10:24
A long time ago when the world (and I) was simpler I used to hang glide. One of the club memebers had been to Death Valley and his best tale was of gliding in company with a couple of vultures.

Looking for the best lift he followed them as closely as he could - after all they have similar constraints in terms of seeking lift.......

After a couple of minutes a particularly violent air current flung the the lead bird against the rock face they were all following. Scratch one vulture!!!!

2high2fastagain
22nd Dec 2010, 13:30
LOL. Only being a humble owner of a PCAS, I had a slightly uneasy feeling that I might get IO'd on that one. What I should have said is that since the airspace around my office is class G, then that starling should have been applying the 'see and avoid' principle, assuming of course he wasn't in IMC with a dodgy altimeter sub scale setting.

SNS3Guppy
22nd Dec 2010, 13:31
Birds just don't crash due to piloting error, they are built to do things aeronautically, that nothing that man builds, can do.

You've never seen a bird crash during a glassy water landing? It's not just people; birds do it, too.

Ever seen a bird hit a plate glass window? It happens every few days at our house, especially in the evening when the desert sun catches the large bedroom window panes. Most of the time, the birds pause, replan their flight, and depart again. Occasionally we host one for an overnight, and once in a blue moon the hapless busted-beak aviator flies west for the last time.

This spring I had several occasions to help three "student pilot" cactus wrens that weren't mastering solo flight just quite yet, during their initial launches from the nests in the acacia tree in front of our house. Two went on to be fully qualified aviators, while one, sadly, didn't make it. The wrens were able to launch, but with a very poor glide ratio that resembled a single down-line from the next to a forced landing, whereupon they would taxi for a considerable time in order to avert a cat incursion. It was during these taxi sessions that I was able to divert them to their original (or alternate, in one case) hangars for some additional instruction and a few more worms.

hum
22nd Dec 2010, 15:08
Then again it could simply have been a mid-air with a hit and run snowplough......:=

ShyTorque
22nd Dec 2010, 15:29
Birds can definitely suffer CFIT accidents.

We also get a few every year flying into our big picture windows. It's usually the young ones that do this.

The Passenger Pigeon, now extinct, used to fly in flocks of many hundreds of thousands. They were apparently totally confused by buildings. Hundreds, if not thousands of them followed each other to a suddden demise by flying into walls.