PDA

View Full Version : Winter Cornwall Visit

NQWhy
21st Dec 2010, 16:25
In its continuing quest to promote itself as a GA friendly regional, Newquay Airport is offering special winter weekend landing fees. From now until the end of March, on Saturdays and Sundays (9am-5pm) all aircraft up to 2.5T will pay a flat fee of £20 all inclusive - nothing else to pay (unless you WANT to be handled in which case normal fees apply). AVGAS and Jet A-1 available (there is a phone in the Weston Aviation office for you to use for this purpose). PPR (essential) and more info from Weston Aviation 01637 860551.

blueandwhite
21st Dec 2010, 18:45
Only £20

Looks like I will be at Bodmin then :p

Unless the runways is soaked. :\

chris-h
21st Dec 2010, 19:00
I was meant to fly there today from the northwest but avoided due to mist over south wales
and below zero temps so i chose to fly with Air Southwest instead and then missed the flight :(

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Dec 2010, 19:10
Newquay Airport
Several hours by road from where I go in Cornwall. And with the cloud base often below the cliff tops ... a better title might have been "Winter Newquay Visit", Cornwall is a very big place, not having any roads.

POBJOY
21st Dec 2010, 21:00
Most of drive from the airfield to where we are going not walk backwards blindfolded with Siebe Gorman divers boots on.
Several hours from Newquay would get you past Birmingham and thats nowhere near Cornwall.
Of course Perranporth is cheaper has a proper cafe, a couple more runways and no "security" control for uk pilots.
The trick is to get in before the fog hits and then get stuck for a couple of days (which means more time for enjoying our wonderful coastal walks,beaches,harbours,pastys and seafood restaurants)
It was awful this morning walking along a near deserted beach in the sunshine with 30k plus vis and a BN2 drumbling past low level on its way to the Scillies.I had to console myself with a FE breakfast in the old coastguard hut by the beach (overlooking St Ives bay) "£4.80 inc tea and toast".
Yes its tough down here but someone has to do it.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Dec 2010, 22:07
Several hours from Newquay would get you past Birmingham
Yes indeed, I was thinking of going the other way, and doing so on an August Saturday. (Google Maps says only one hour to Helston - they obviously haven't tried actually driving it!! Culdrose would be rather more convenient, but of course you don't get in there for twenty quid.)

NQWhy
21st Dec 2010, 22:13
There is no security for GA pilots unless you are going international.

Yes you could well go to Bodmin or Perrnaporth (I regualrly do!) for less but this price includes any instrument approach you care to shoot on the way in.