PDA

View Full Version : Air Ground Operator's Certificate- Examiner Authorisation Query

EGBKFLYER
21st Dec 2010, 16:13
Someone I know needs to obtain the above certificate (I remember when they were given away free...). The CAA website has a list of examiners who may administer the relevant written and practical exams. As ATS Licensing is closed now, can anyone answer the following questions?:

1. Is the list up to date?
2. If I was a FRTOL Examiner, how would I go about becoming approved as an examiner for AGCS?
3. Given that the application form does not ask for an examiner's authorisation number, how do the CAA know that the test has been done by an appropriately approved examiner?

I ask because I believe the examiner who is being suggested for my friend's exam may not be authorised (he is on the FRTOL list of examiners but not ACGS ones).

Thanks

2 sheds
21st Dec 2010, 18:06
EGBK flyer.

1. Yes - very up-to-date.
2. The usual requirement is appropriate experience as an ATCO.
3. The application form has the examiner's signature and expiry date of his/her authorisation. If you have any doubt about a person's approval, ask to see his/her letter of appointment which will also have an expiry date. If your suggested examiner is not on the current list, then he would not be approved (and, indeed would not have the appropriate examination material) UNLESS he had obtained very recent approval since the date of the current list on the CAA website.

Hope this helps.

2 s

EGBKFLYER
21st Dec 2010, 18:13
That is very helpful indeed and matches what I would expect. Thanks very much!

Data Dad
21st Dec 2010, 19:03
The list IS up to date - after all it was published 20/12. However it is NOT accurate. I hold said examiner authorisation (valid) and I know at least one other person with same authorisation yet we do not appear on the list :ugh::ugh:

LH-OAB
21st Dec 2010, 22:01
Must check the list. I was on the last one despite giving up examining at the end of 2008.

PhiltheReaper
21st Dec 2010, 22:16
The list IS up to date - after all it was published 20/12. However it is NOT accurate.

Is that not a very worrying observation? I presume there could be grave consequences of somebody not qualified "walting" as one who is?

(I'm no authority on any ATC issue, I'm currently applying to become a trainee ATC with NATS, so just interested :) )

Cheers,
Phil

chevvron
22nd Dec 2010, 07:47
The written exam is set by SRG not by the examiner. They send the exam paper to the examiner when he/she notifies them that an exam is about to take place, and will only issue the certificate if an official exam paper is sent back to them (with a minimum 70% pass) with the application form.

EGBKFLYER
22nd Dec 2010, 09:33
I've been in touch with ATS Licensing this morning. In my case, the examiner in question is authorised to to AGCS exams but is not on the published list, in common with some posters above. I have brought this fact to their attention, so let's see what happens next!

Incidentally, the examiner I'm dealing with doesn't have an ATC background to my knowledge, so maybe there is another route to getting this authorisation (he is a long-standing FRTOL examiner, so maybe this is another route in...)

EGBKFLYER
5th Jan 2011, 19:30
Further to my last - spoke to a very helpful lady at CAA ATS Licensing again today - she issues the authorisations and manages the published list of examiners.

She is now aware that some authorised examiners are missing from the list and she will update the list asap.

In the meantime, if you believe there is an error with your entry or someone else's, please contact her (preferrably by email) - she gave me permission to post her address here:

[email protected]

Happy Landings:ok: