PDA

View Full Version : How to Convert UK ATPL to Canadian ATPL

macfloppy
21st Dec 2010, 11:18
I have dual citizenship with Canada , A UK ATPL with 10,000 verifiable hours , and current type ratings on B757,767 and 747-400 with a European major .

How do I go about obtaining an Canadian ATL , or is it simpler to get an FAA ATPL (easy) and then convert ?

Number1
22nd Dec 2010, 22:30
Some well intended advice above. Unfortunately though some is inaccurate.

The agreement with the FAA excludes you if your FAA licence was based on another foreign licence. Check here:
Conversion agreement between U.S. and Canadian officials - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-usconversion-480.htm)
Look under the 'agreement' for 2.2 Eligibility.

Also, the flight test for the ATPL can be done on a full flight simulator (even initial). Check under 'Aircraft and Equipment Requirements' in the IR flight test guide here:
TP 9939E - Flight Test Guide - Instrument Rating - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp9939-menu-965.htm)
A type rated approved check pilot can do the initial IR flight test in the sim.

Good luck.

jurassic
24th Dec 2010, 00:05
There are many U.K. pilots (former First Choice and MY Travel) who have full Canadian ATPL's by sitting the 3 exams, having a Canadian Cat 1 Medical and then doing a ride in a sim. No airplane required for the IFR, just the sim. These pilots then worked for Skyservice for the winter. Yes the exams are tough, but then the ATPL is a full Canadian ATPL and not issued on the basis of......

Jurassic

Number1
24th Dec 2010, 19:20
MSA, you're right with the reference. I wrongly assumed it's the IR flight test that qualifies. That being said, I do know guys who did what Jurassic states. PPC in the level full flight simulator for the ATPL. Is your response from the HQ licensing folks?
About the 'based on a foreign licence', the FAA/TC agreement says that both authorities check with each other how the licence was obtained. So I'm not sure what constitutes a 'full' licence. Cheers.

MR.X99
25th Dec 2010, 15:32
One Airline + One Crown Corporation