PDA

View Full Version : USA PPL Training

BobD
19th Dec 2010, 18:23
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would introduce myself on this forum, as I am going to EASA (the old OBA)in Florida in February to do a PPL. I have read most of the positive and negative posts about this FTO, but I guess at the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice !

I have found many of the posts on the Forum to be very helpful.

It would be good to hear from anyone else who may be planning on going there around the same time.

My reason for doing a PPL is to fulfil a lifetime ambition. I had always promised myself I would do it when I retired, but with 60 just around the corner, and no wish to stop working, I decided it would be a 'now or never' thing.

I have been (trying to) study at home for the past few months, but find the books very dry, so I have had a couple of hours tuition in a PA28 at Gamston in November. I had hoped to do a few more hours this month, but the weather has had other ideas. I plan to take some of the exams at LBA in early January, so I guess I will have to knuckle down to the books over Christmas.

Any advice/tips/suggestions would be gratefully received, either via the forum, or by e-mail.

BobD

PapaNovGolf
28th Dec 2010, 08:45
Hey BobD, good to hear I'm not the only one who's started this flying thing later in life. I started training mid-2009 and am now at the tail-end of my lessons before hopefully going for my flight test sometime in the next month or so.

I found the biggest boat anchors to be studying for the theory exams. For me, this usually took a good 2-3 weeks of solid studying. At the end of that, some rust had developed in my flying and stuff had to be reviewed again eg. circuits, R/T, navex etc.

But I figured that I've waited all my life to get here, so I'm going to put up with this for a bit more and tick this box eventually.

All the best in your flying! :ok:

MR.X99
29th Dec 2010, 09:04
Bob if you did the maths you might find it might just be as economical to stay put and take a NPPL.Just a thought 35 hours you need. Don,t hane to fly to the states pay food & hotel etc.Car rental whatever.

BobD
29th Dec 2010, 13:29
Hi PNG, couldn't agree more about the exams, I am spending most of the Christams Holidays with my nose stuck in the books, as I hope to take at least half of the exams in early January. It definitely takes longer to sink in , the older you get. I have read all the Jeremy Platt Books from cover to cover once, and have started going back through them again now. I have joined www.airquiz.com (http://www.airquiz.com), and find the mock exams on there very good. I personally find that it is easier to remember the topics I get wrong from these exams, although I know this doesn't work for everyone. The other thing it is reminding me to do, is to apply some exam discipline, i.e. read the question. Its a long time since I took any type of exam, and I had forgotten how easy it is to misread a question.

Mr. X99, I am sure you are right about the costs, at the end of the day, I expect the cost of the USA trip all in will be about the same as learning in the UK. However, the main reason for this approach is to (hopefully) get the PPL in a condensed timeframe. I reckon the course in the UK would take about a year or more if I did it at weekends, and I have too much else going on in my life to make that sort of committment .

I have to admit that the 'adventure' of the USA trip appeals as well though !

BobD
29th Dec 2010, 17:51
How long have you planned for your trip to the US to complete the course?
Don't forget to factor in some "differences training" when you get back to the UK. You WILL find it totally different to what you learn in the US

The course is 21 days, but I have booked for 28 days to allow some slack.
I have started some lessons in the UK, and hope to complete about 5 hours before I leave. I plan to have about 5 hours 'conversion' at least when I get back. As I said in a previous post, when all this is factored in, I don't expect it be any cheaper in the States than the UK.

eurm_ctr
30th Dec 2010, 16:40
Airquiz is excellent, the tricky questions have explanations attached with images, graphs, etc. Another good reason to signup is that it is constantly updated - I remember ordering the JP books brand new because I wanted to be sure everything was up to date, especially law. Well, turns out the 2010 edition was still missing AIC revisions from early 2009 :ugh: Compared with CAA website, airquiz had all the correct figures. Just do the tests over and over again until you consistently score above 90. Only one caveat, the language used in the questions is different from what you'll find in the papers.

You should also get the "JAA PPL Exam Secrets Guides", you can find them from a number of sources. They only exist for Law, Aircraft, HPL and Met for now as it's a new series. The questions there are exactly like the ones in the CAA papers, word per word. Well worth the money.

Finally, get the TSA fingerprints done in the UK. They tell you it takes 2-3 days, but I wasted 10 perfectly flyable days in Florida waiting for TSA clearance. I know it's expensive, but so is changing your return flight at short notice.

BobD
30th Dec 2010, 18:50
Only one caveat, the language used in the questions is different from what you'll find in the papers.

I agree that the framing of the questions is very important. I have been self-testing using the 'Question and Answer Simplifier' from the JP range of books. Does anyone know if the questions in this are framed in the same way as the actual exams ?

I am hoping to take four of the exams in early January :eek:, so the option of purchasing "JAA PPL Exam Secrets Guides" may be too late for this attempt.

Finally, get the TSA fingerprints done in the UK

I have seen this advice elsewhere, but my FTO says I can get it done at their offices on the day I arrive. Hope they are right !

BobD
30th Dec 2010, 23:18
Presumably you have already got your I-20 and visa interview underway and TSA application in progress. You can (and should do your own TSA submission)
https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov (https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/)

Yep, completed all these steps, just need the fingerprints done. The FTO instructions are quite clear about leaving the fingerprints until I arrive, but I'll check with them to see if they confirm a delay may arise.

Thanks

Kengineer-130
31st Dec 2010, 02:59
Hi Bob, I trained for my PPL at OBA in 2005, and had a fantastic time, met some great people, and passed my course.

I returned to OBA (Now EASA as you say) in October of last year to re-validate as I ran out of time. I again found a highly proffesional & dedicated school, and passed a full skills test agian after not flying for 5 years :ok:..

My personal reccomendation to you, is to extend your stay to 5 weeks if possible, or at least see if you can extend your return journey ticket with your airline. I did 6 weeks the first time I went out there, and passed my PPL skills test one day short of 4 weeks. I saw a few people run out of time, and have to leave without completing, which would be a real shame.

I took it quite easy, but I have a distinct advantage of being an aircraft engineer in the RAF, so didn't have to work too hard on a few of the subjects for the exams.

If you can get a few exams out of the way before you go, it will make your life a LOT easier, and take the pressure off a bit, and allow you to enjoy the flying a bit more.

You can easily learn & pass at home: Air law, Human factors, Aircraft general

Air law (parrot learning, very drull but you need to know it, it is just a case of read, re-read and sponge as much as you can each time! :ugh:)

Human Factors/performance and limitations. Quite an easy and enjoyable exam.

Aircraft general- Good to learn as much as possible before you go, will help a lot.

The exams I would reccomend doing at the school:

Navigation- Much easier once you have done some flight planning
Met- As above
Aircraft Performance- Tricky to learn the graphs, easier once you have practiced during your training
Radio/comms- Much easier once you have done some real world RT :ok:

Finally, If you would like to have a chat about anything, or I can help you out in any way, please PM me your number and I can give you a call. :ok:

BobD
31st Dec 2010, 12:34
PM on the way ...............

onebounce
4th Jan 2011, 09:24
Hi Bob... I passed tho OBA this time last year, not quite hitting your age yet - only in late 40s, but nevertheless the 'mature' attitude does help a bit ! Exams - yes a bit of a slog, but the more you do now, the less yuo need to worry about during what will be a reasonably stressfull time during training. Thos you don't get done can be caught up with during stay with OBA, but nevertheless just grind them out :-)... I found that siimply doing the traditional thing (read, take notes, revise, sit exam) worked well enough. If you want or need any other OBA tips, drop me a line - my experience was that if you got your head down, treated it professionally and dealt with any issues in a profesional manner then it worked well - did for me anyway ! - now a happy recreational flyer back in the UK, learning the 'new stuff' about my local area etc.

BobD
9th Jan 2011, 09:53
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to post a big thank you to everyone who responded to my post, either via the Thread, or by PM, as I took 5 of my exams yeterday and passed them all.

Special thanks to Kengineer-130 who called me and answered all of the questions about my FTO that I could think of, and swp53 who gave me the following exam tip, which certainly worked for me.

"Fold a piece of paper in half. Read the questions and mark the paper with your answer. (Can't rember if it's A,B,C,D. or 1,2,3,4.) anyway turn your folded paper over and do the same again. Open the paper and where all the answers agree mark them down any that conflict read again before deciding."

Of to Florida in 5 weeks time now, with just the remaining exams to take there (Flight Planning, Navigation, and R/T Practical) - Oh, and some flying.

Can't wait

fernytickles
9th Jan 2011, 13:12
Congratulations on passing the exams so far!

Bring warm clothes, Florida and the SE has had chilly temps this winter. If you have the time, try to take in some of the aviation museums, and even Sun N' Fun (Sun n' Fun Home (http://www.sun-n-fun.org)) while you are there. You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy your trip!

Kengineer-130
9th Jan 2011, 15:50
Well done on passing five exams, you have taken a lot of pressure off yourself! Wish I could come join you, you will have a fab time!:cool:

BobD
15th Feb 2011, 12:32
Hi Guys,

Well I arrived in Florida late yesterday afternoon, and I am just waiting to be collected for the first day of the PPL course at EASA. Thanks to all those who sent me messages and information prior to my arrival, and I shall respond to those who asked me to let them know how I get on.

The first promise has been met - the sun is shining !

Ryan5252
15th Feb 2011, 12:44
Well I arrived in Florida late yesterday afternoon, and I am just waiting to be collected for the first day of the PPL course at EASA. Thanks to all those who sent me messages and information prior to my arrival, and I shall respond to those who asked me to let them know how I get on.

The first promise has been met - the sun is shining !

The very best of luck to you sir! Just also to let you know, there is a gentleman at our club who is making resonable pace through his PPL course, at 79 years young! :D

Have fun, though I'm sure you well, and do update us as to how your getting on. Its raining here :}

Ryan

Katamarino
15th Feb 2011, 15:56
Good luck!

I did my PPL at EFT in 2005. We took my fingerprints on arrival...but it seems they never got sent off. At any rate, I stayed 5 weeks, did the whole course, and it wasn't until applying for a visa last year for the CPL and IR that we discovered I'd done the whole PPL without having done the TSA process!

Didn't seem to bother anyone, either then, or last year.

BobD
26th Feb 2011, 23:13
After almost two weeks or almost perfect weather, today is the day I went solo. What a fantastic feeling !

The two other guys who started training with me also acheived their solo flight today, so I think there may be a little bit of celebrating going on tonight. Now to knuckle down for the remaining exams, and to get some more experience and practise in, before the cross country, and then the skills test.

This trip is turning out to be as good as I had hoped, and I even got to see the Shuttle Launch on Thursday.

Tinstaafl
27th Feb 2011, 04:36
Did you end up doing fingerprints in the UK or wait until the US? How long did it take for them to notify you that they'd 1) received the prints and 2) approved your training?

Kengineer-130
27th Feb 2011, 05:55
Well done Bob, a fantastic achivement that you will never forget :ok: I look forward to seeing you post up about doing your qualifying cross country & skills test :D.. Enjoy!

fernytickles
27th Feb 2011, 11:56
Congratulations on going solo :ok: That and a shuttle launch all in the one week? Not an average week, I'd say :)

BobD
28th Feb 2011, 11:59
Definately NOT an average week ! Wish they were all as exciting

Got my fingerprints done in USA the day after I arrived, and received confirmation two days later.

BobD
16th Mar 2011, 21:55
Arrived back in the UK yesterday, after 4 of the best weeks of my life !

Had a fantastic time in Florida, met some great people, enjoyed some sunny weather, learnt a lot about flying, and got my PPL !

Looking forward to now re-learning the UK RT procedures (the yanks are soooo laid back), and getting in some 'conversion' training in UK airspace.

Anyone wants to know any more about my experiences, feel free to PM me.

BobD

Alan_D
16th Mar 2011, 22:15
Well done Bob, good result to do it in 4 weeks. Looking forward to a write-up of your experience on here...

Kengineer-130
16th Mar 2011, 22:38
Well done, PPL is a BIG achievement :ok:.. Looking forward to a write up as well!

BobD
17th Mar 2011, 23:49
My experience over the last four weeks is much too much to detail on here. However, I did a daily blog, with loads of photos, for the family back home to follow. It may be too extensive (and sometimes off topic) for the tastes of PPRuNers, but you may be able to sort some of the wheat from the chaff, and are welcome to have a squint at it at:

www.rjdawson.co.uk/flying/blog (http://www.rjdawson.co.uk/flying/blog)

BobD

Paris Dakar
18th Mar 2011, 16:00
BobD,

Congratulations :D

I've read your blog and looked at the photographs and it transports me back in time. I stayed in the same villa as you in 1995 and 2005 and I had super times there.

Good luck with your flying back home :ok:

PD