PDA

View Full Version : Leaning on the ground....problems?

Bear Cub
26th Jan 2001, 09:58
Another one in the season of Bear Cub's "problems" postings.

Colleague of mine just e-mailed to ask if "leaning the mixture ON THE GROUND was a good or a bad thing" (or both - at different times)

Anybody want to open the debate?

I remember seeing pilots lean the mixture on some twins when taxying any distance - especially when I was out in Florida.

Their explanation was that, certainly on the PA44 (Seminole), in the Florida weather the engineers set the mixtures above 15:1 rather than the recommended 12:1. This kept the thing running when the power was at ground idle but almost guaranteed to foul the plugs and cause a "bad drop" during the mag checks, if a long taxy or departure delay was encountered.

I do remember seeing bad "mag drops" which went away when "burned off".

I also have a pilot friend who lives in Calgary, Canada -he told me a long time ago that he had to lean the mixture for take-off because of the high altitude he was at.

Thinking about it, I remember an air taxi pilot at Manchester leaning the mixture for the taxy in a PA31.

Comments...for or against?

Would especially appreciate if anybody would admit to being a PPL or Commercial flight test examiner - and on which side of the Atlantic (or Pacific).

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Squawk 8888
26th Jan 2001, 18:14
Leaning on the ground can be useful if your density altitude is high, especially if you're using 100LL in an engine that was designed for 80/87. Using the higher octane fuel can cause excessive fouling of the spark plugs and leaning definitely reduces it.

Tip tank
26th Jan 2001, 18:57
I too understand the merits of leaning whilst manouvering on the ground, but would be concerned about actually taking off with the mixture leaned out. It might lead to a "lean cut" at higher power settings if such terminology exists.

------------------
...was that TO or FROM?

AC-DC
27th Jan 2001, 00:51
If you lean very aggressively you even won’t be able to taxi unless mixture is enriched. However, Lyco. does not recommend this method and says not to do so.

Grandad Flyer
27th Jan 2001, 02:14
I believe it is correct to lean slightly on the ground and whilst taxiing, and then go full rich for power checks and take off. Unless you are at a high altitude airport when leaning is absolutely essential. If you try flying full rich at a high altitude airport you may end up gliding to your destination. Been there, done that, not much fun. (Wasn't my fault, I was being checked out, by someone who claimed to be an instructor).
I have also experienced problems with plugs fouling up and worse, engineers reckoned all caused by people not leaning the mixture.
I hold FAA and CAA ATPLs and no-one has ever told me not to do it, including on flight tests.