PDA

View Full Version : U.S. ATC Pay Issues.....

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Dec 2010, 11:06
From Today's AVweb site;

" CONTROLLERS MAY BE EXEMPT FROM FEDERAL PAY FREEZE
Air traffic controllers are among the highest-paid U.S. government workers and may find themselves exempt from a federal employee pay freeze proposed by the Obama administration. The U.S. employs about 15,500 controllers who earn an average of $136,000 per year. Those controllers last year negotiated a contract with the FAA that provides raises of at least 3 percent annually over three years. On Dec. 8, the House approved a proposal from President Barack Obama that would apply a two-year pay freeze to roughly 2 million federal workers, including controllers, in a bid to save the government $60 billion. "....more on site

So, an average of $136K p/a.....I wouldn't think that would be 'high' in the world of ATC......??

Cheers:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Dec 2010, 11:41
Maybe not in Spain, but somewhat higher than most controllers get in the UK..

Sudden Stop
20th Dec 2010, 14:07
De ja vu anyone? Sounds like the opening salvo in a PR campaign directed at those 'overpaid' controllers.
Watch yourselves guys or you could end up in the same boat as the Spanish.

Beefheart
20th Dec 2010, 14:37
I wouldn't take the U.S. work schedule for 136,000.

Vector361
23rd Dec 2010, 10:09
What everyone seems to have forgotten or not known is that the US controllers had work conditions imposed on them in September of 2006 that FROZE their pay for nearly 3 years. It also lowered the starting salary for the new controllers by about 15% or more. They've already made their contribution.

As for the $136K per year, probably in the area but you have a very big experience gap. Very senior controllers 20+ years and soon to retire and many in the less than 10 years experience range. Very few with 10-20 years of experience. Most controllers don't make near that unless they are working a lot of overtime.

belk78
23rd Dec 2010, 18:32
Maybe not in Spain? Are you sure heathrow director?

IVectorU
11th Jan 2011, 14:44
well, pay depends on the level of the facility you work at. Nobody will pay you 136k if you move five VFRs an hour.
In my highest level facility, there're senior controllers who make 170k- before OT and holidays that is. However, I think every ATC here will agree with me, we deserve all we make and then some. We constantly have to train newbies, and that's double the work for sitting on the edge of your chair and making sure your trainee ain't putting two together. Also, schedule doesn't add confidence either. And then after a morning or afternoon rush, you do all but claw your eyes out.

In no way I'm complaining, I love what I do, and our union does a great job watching out for us