PDA

View Full Version : Deep Vein Thrombosis

MFFA938
21st Aug 2001, 18:24
Does anyone have an opinion on the recent reports of DVT and the so called remedies that are available to counter the effects.

Have recently heard that Emirates are buying a cushion to give to their passengers, do these things really work?. :confused:

CCAero
21st Aug 2001, 18:34
Interesting question. On the one hand we're told to stay seated with our seat belts loosely fastened, on the other hand we're now told to exercise and walk round the aircraft. It could get very congested!! Maybe this cushion is the answer?

NewBloke
21st Aug 2001, 20:16
My old ma has just come back from NZ and she said the Airline offered these Travelling Socks (!?) which supposedly reduce the chance of DVT by a considerable amount. I don't know anything about these but I'm sure they are only offered at a "small price" of course..... ;)

sky9
21st Aug 2001, 21:16
Try this; research shows that drinking lemon juice helps. It comes from The Times 20th August. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-2001286241,00.html

Captain-Ireland
22nd Aug 2001, 02:39
If you get DVT from sitting still for hours on end. How come you dont get it from sleeping in your bed at night. (lying still!!) strange

go with the flow
22nd Aug 2001, 08:42
Various people have varying degrees of predisposition to DVT. Things that particularly increase the risk are any previous DVT, pregnancy and cancer. A lot of people wander round life with a mildly increased risk from various genetic causes and a longhaul may be enough to trigger it off. The "Pill" also mildly increases the risk.
They occur because gravity, in flight swelling, no movement and the kink in the veins with the knee bent on the seat dilate the veins and slow the flow in the vessels. The thombus starts in an area of blood stasis. It may then grow, and it's the bits that break off and end up impacting in the lung that are potentially fatal (called pulmonary embolism:PE). By no means is this problem confined to the air or steerage class.
I've been wondering for a while now when someone would bring up the keep your seatbelt on/ move around trade off. Effectively what happened is we trade off M&M from clear air turbulence with DVT/PE. Not something I would be arguing that one could run a suit on, but I guess that the class action lawyers will find a more cooperative "expert opinion".
Email me if you've specific Qs or want some indepth reading: i'm finishinng off some research into a rare cause of the things
:)

Mycroft
23rd Aug 2001, 00:24
Capt-ireland
The possibility of DVT is higher sitting than lying due to the body position, blood pooling in the lower extremities, although it is a known complication in hospitals etc when people are lying for an extended period. Currently the 2 major anti DVT devices are surgical stockings (especially a version with greater compression at the bottom of the leg) and an inflatable pillow (can be used as such) with 2 connected compartments, the basis being that you only inflate one compartment. place it under your feet and squeeze the air between sections. The latter leg exercise can also be performed by walking around the a/c or by isotonic exercise, tensing the leg muscles by pushing downwards