PDA

View Full Version : Glass cockpit in LSA aircraft

Ultra long hauler
19th Dec 2010, 18:20
Good day,

I am lucky enough to have my LSA delivered this month.
Presently we are painting her and doing the basics, and once I have my finance$ together for the Rotax 912 within a few months………I will have to decide about the avionics.

I´m considering the Dynon Skyview:

Dynon Avionics - SkyView Intro (http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_intro.html)

Any feedback please?

Cheers,

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Rod1
20th Dec 2010, 13:31
As you have not had any response, I will do my best. I have an aircraft in a similar class and have fitted MGL kit, which I am very pleased with. The MGL range offers a lot of flexibility, and the kit does more then most of the opposition. Pricing in the UK is less than the Dynon, and support is very good. If you do not have a local distributor, the UK guy is so good he is exporting quite a bit of kit.

parts for aircraft, aircraft spares uk, pfa aircraft, microlights, homebuilt aircraft (http://www.partsforaircraft.co.uk/)

Rod1

Jan Olieslagers
20th Dec 2010, 17:49
Along with Rod, I'll take pity for the lack of response you got thus far, and will add my 0,02 €:

A couple of years ago, I took some training in a Coyote fitted with a Dynon which must have been of a previous generation. Think I could dig up a photo somewhere, if pressed hard. I have precious little memory of it, but it never seemed to create any trouble for me, or at most it made much less trouble than more obvious encumbrances like an unstable horizon, eerie feelings in my stomach, and an unnerved instructor... Certainly it always remained readable.

I can only assume today's product will be at least as good, unless the market is already growing small.

Ultra long hauler
22nd Dec 2010, 01:36
As you have not had any response, I will do my best.

Rod1

Along with Rod, I'll take pity for the lack of response you got thus far, and will add my 0,02 €

No need for all that pity………….but thank you for your feedback!

Question 2, how is this for collision avoidance->

Zaon Flight Systems - PCAS XRX Overview (http://www.zaon.aero/content/view/12/40/)

Anone any experience?

Cheers,

###Ultra long Hauler###

Mark 1
22nd Dec 2010, 03:18
The Dynon kit is very popular and seems pretty bomb-proof. I particularly like the internal backup battery in the D6/D10 models to give a couple of hours emergency use if you lose ship power. Recieved wisdom suggests there are better options for hard regular IFR.

A neat bit of video borrowed from another forum: YouTube - Skyview after compass rose calibration 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mirpheyUWhM)

skyhawkmatthew
22nd Dec 2010, 05:30
I regularly fly an LSA with a Dynon D100 - it's never missed a beat in my use.

Rod1
22nd Dec 2010, 08:40
The XRX is a good bit of kit. It will integrate into the MGL kit, as will FLARM, which is becoming more important in Europe. MGL allow the connection of a back up battery of your choice. This has the advantage that you choose the capacity and can locate it in any convenient spot in the aircraft. The unit will charge the bat, and seamlessly switch back and forth as required.

Rod1

patowalker
22nd Dec 2010, 13:19
... but it is not much use in an enviroment where the greatest threat of collision comes from non-transponder or non-transponding aircraft.

Ultra long hauler
22nd Dec 2010, 17:01
... but it is not much use in an enviroment where the greatest threat of collision comes from non-transponder or non-transponding aircraft.
True, but luckily the aviation authority here (la DAC) has created the LSA section within the law, which enforces PPL´s, medical checks, technical checks and the installation of transponders.
Only the very light aircraft (Quicksilver etc) stay Ultra Light.

I applaud this, and the great thing is that we will be welcome at almost all controlled airports, without prior permission.
The XRX is becoming more and more important, I reckon………

The big disadvantage is, that the bulky top part of the XRX has to have a clear view to the sky so you end up putting it on top of the flight deck.
I will check options to suspend it under my rear window, as you don´t need to see the XRX screen……….all traffic will display on the Skyview!!

###Ultra Long Hauler###

wsn
25th Dec 2010, 09:04
Dynon Skyview? Rotax?

You can look at it from various way but at the end of the day, the Dynon is just installing very nicely, no surprises with the Rotax, it does the job, a lot of other people are experienced with Dynons so a clear YES! from my side. There might be others out with some more gimmocs here, some lesser price there. I can see a lot of experiments going on in my vincinity but frankly, nothing beats the reliability and the ease of installation of a dynon.

Good choice.

wsn

Ultra long hauler
3rd Jan 2011, 13:18
Why thank you, WSN!!

The Rotax and Dynon combo gives me confidence based on the experiences of my club mates………

Will keep you posted as my "kitting out" progresses!!

Cheers

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Ndegi
5th Jan 2011, 11:18
http://www.tecnam.com.au/Editor/assets/p2008%2028nov10%20017_w800_h600.jpg

Photo of an Australian TECNAM P2008 LSA fitted with Dynon Skyview and Garmin 695. Autopilot servos about to be fitted but owner skipping the Rotax EMS.

Skyview can only be described as amazing and I understand Dynon shortly to release a Jepperson database moving map.