PDA

View Full Version : Callsign registration.

Vortex what...ouch!
21st Aug 2001, 17:00
I was talking with someone about private callsign’s for pilots and organisations. I seem to remember that you can register with the CAA or NATS or something with a callsign that you can then use whenever you fly. Paper 01 for example instead of the aircraft registration.

I could be wrong, it has been known :) but can someone confirm if this is this possible or not?

DJXL
21st Aug 2001, 19:09
Wotcha,

I believe it is possible to register a callsign for use with flying clubs but not sure about one for your own private use. I am no expert but I have flown with one flying club who have a callsign relating to each aircraft in their fleet and another club which has callsigns for instructors so ATC know whats going on. The latter also operates commercially as well which might be a helping factor.

I like to use a callsign wherever possible because it a) sounds a lot better when I take the layyydeeeesss flying, and b) means I don't have to remember a registration which can slip out wrongly due to force of habit. It's happened.

And all the ladies at uni ARE impressed by the way, hehe..

Hope this helps.

Vortex what...ouch!
21st Aug 2001, 19:13
That was pretty much what I thought. I was talking to a guy about it and none of us were sure. When I get my fixed wing I could be Plank Zero One :D

Any of them student ladies want to be impressed with my chopper :D

EGTE
22nd Aug 2001, 01:59
The two Yaks based at Exeter use "Redstar" as their radio callsign.

DJXL
22nd Aug 2001, 02:40
Vortex, I'll do you a deal, I'll hand all the good ladies down that weren't impressed with mine first...

And I didn't know there were any Yaks in Exeter, you learn something new everyday. I didn't know there was anyone else on pprune in Exeter, wow.