PDA

View Full Version : Gliding @ night

Buzz Lightyear
25th Jan 2001, 12:33
Can gliders (sailplanes) ,in the uk, fly at night?,in controlled airspace? or in cloud?
Got my knickers in a bit of a twist in the pub the other night.Seems things have changed since I were a lad? Thanx to anyone who can give me an answer.

DirectNewGalloway
25th Jan 2001, 17:50
Well this is my 3rd attempt to reply to this thread. Lets hope it gets through.

You can glide at night in the UK provided you display the appropriate lights. No-one is actually daft enough to do it although I've heard of night gliding in Poland.

As far as the other stuff goes.

Gliders can fly in cloud clear of controlled airspace.

Gliders can transit class D airspace in VMC and with an ATC clearance.

Gliders can cross airway P600 between PTH and ADN VMC and with an ATC clearance, but not other airways.

Gliders can fly in the UIR (above FL245) in specially designated areas which must be activated before takeoff by telephone.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by DirectNewGalloway (edited 25 January 2001).]

The Hooded Claw
25th Jan 2001, 20:49
I've done a glider night rating in Poland, although it's probably not worth the paper it's written on. The only reason they do it is because they are all barking mad.

I think there would be an insurance implication over here. I know of a few gliders in this country with the correct lighting but in the end it's all pretty pointless.

I'm sure if you really wanted to do it, it could be arranged!

Buzz Lightyear
26th Jan 2001, 13:12
DNG, thank you very much for your perseverence,It will settle a long running argument about whether glider pilots if IRated can fly in CTA`s etc.I ,as an ATPL have had a long running battle with some of my hangglider friends who think gliders can fly in cloud and still claim to be VFR,I pointed out the requirements printed on the bottom of UK topo charts including the different classes of airspace etc but now I will have the facts,Thanx