PDA

View Full Version : pilot e-logbook

THolmes
13th Dec 2010, 07:36
Can anyone recommend a good pilot electronic logbook designed for the (jet) airline pilot ?
Which ones to avoid, better versions , not so good versions ...any recomendations wouild be appreciated .

locapetown
13th Dec 2010, 10:22
I you run a Mac, Logten pro is great.

FLEXPWR
13th Dec 2010, 10:37
Logbook Pro is doing a great job too, versions available for Iphone as well.

Different input formats available.

No complains

PT6A
13th Dec 2010, 10:37
I use logbook pro, Backs up on the net and I can sync the data from my iPad to it.

Been using it for about 5 years now no problems, if your a US airline pilot it will also track you according to the various FAR's

PT6A

SNS3Guppy
13th Dec 2010, 16:28
I've been slowly transferring things to Logbook Pro over the past year and a half, or so. I've got one logbook transferred, and part of another.

I use it on the road, and then transfer everything back to my paper logbook when I eventually make it home.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Dec 2010, 18:06
I couldn't make friends with any of the commercial products I tried, so wrote my own in Excel.

LSVF
13th Dec 2010, 18:26
No doubt... MCC Pilot Log

If you run mac, install parallels and run it from there...

The guy that runs it is billiant, and really helpfull. Best support...

Capt Claret
13th Dec 2010, 19:09
Another vote for Log Ten Pro. Only runs on a Mac, or iPad, or iPhone but the best I've seen.

STBYRUD
13th Dec 2010, 19:18
And another vote for the MCC Pilot Log, very good service, constantly improving the thing with new features.

Denti
13th Dec 2010, 19:49
Logten Pro, does everything i want and quite a bit more, runs and synchs seemlessly between my various macs, iphone and ipad.

Blinkz
13th Dec 2010, 21:00
I've just recently started using MCCpilotlog, and whilst not perfect its very good and as people have said the support is excellent!

Sciolistes
13th Dec 2010, 22:30
Pilotlog.co.uk does everything I need. No problems submitting printouts to the UK CAA for licenses and stuff either.

airyana
14th Dec 2010, 17:38
I'm surprised no one mentioned safe log, I've tried a couple of the ones mentioned here, it's by far the best. You have to keep renewing your subscription though which is a bit annoying.

mini-jumbo
14th Dec 2010, 18:17
I've used Pilots Pal for years,very happy with it

proxus
14th Dec 2010, 20:18
MCC Pilotlog for me here. It's a good program.
I hope they will soon incorporate the best features from LogTen Pro into the MCC so I don't have to consider a change if I'd get a Mac.

I would like to see though a summary of my duty and flight duty so I can easily track my limits.

Denti
14th Dec 2010, 22:05
@ayrianna, i used safelog for a couple years, but to be honest the switch to logten pro was well worth it. Better program, much better support and features as well.

Chuffer Chadley
23rd Dec 2010, 11:32
Just started with MCC, and I'm very impressed.

It could (with a little effort) import previous logs from excel files, which has cut time to enter my flying history dramatically.

The support so far has been first-class. They even worked with me to get it working on Linux, which is fantastic.

B738
25th Dec 2010, 18:03
is there a logbook app working on Nokia Symbian?
I'm looking for a logbook like LogTen, but it should work on symbian and windows....

Chally604
1st Mar 2011, 03:23
Can anybody tell me if log ten pro does support direct import of the MMC backup data files?

I am experiencing a lot of trouble during installation again.
Their trouble shooting log on the webpage is longer than my ATP Question Summery...

Honestly... they should try to fix the software and not to make the user learn how to fix it.

I was Professional Subscription, but will not tale that trouble anymore.
Would like to change.

any suggestion how to rescue my data, as I cannot access them right now?

Thanks a lot for your support

sleeve of wizard
1st Mar 2011, 08:24
Another vote for Log Ten Pro, all sorts of useful reports can be produced, 1 example would be the .kml file for google earth with all your flights on it.

jjp_be
9th Mar 2011, 10:40
MCC pilot log is a great program. Data entry is easy and the support excellent.

Sagey
9th Mar 2011, 11:16
Logtenpro gets my vote too. Easy to use and customise and support is excellent too.

Boeing737jock
13th Mar 2011, 00:21
Got a Question, how you guys start? i have like 10000 hrs i really don't feel to start from day one , i just made stamp the last paper logbook, is i start from there, i am legal?

Jane-DoH
13th Mar 2011, 00:32
Boeing737jock

Got a Question, how you guys start? i have like 10000 hrs i really don't feel to start from day one

At least you have 10,000 hrs on paper. That's gotta be a major bummer if a person logged all this flight time only to have it end up getting wiped after an unfortunate incident with a cafe latte :ooh:

(I've have lost a laptop exactly that way once :})

Denti
13th Mar 2011, 10:36
Thats why you keep your notebook backed up, very easy on a mac with timemachine, automatic backup at least once an hour. Another good idea would be something like mobile.me or dropbox.

Anyway, the advice from coradine is to put in a flight for each type of flying you want to keep separate and put in the total of all hours done that way in that one flight iirc. Apart from that ask in their support forum, very helpful replys pretty soon after every question. Or just browse their website, a lot of usefull info there as well.

Bubble
14th Mar 2011, 04:05
Have anybody tried eLog?

It is free! :ok: lots of features and great support from the guy who created the program. He is an active pilot and always willing to help. He has helped me personally on a couple of occasions when I had a problem or even a suggestion for a new feature.

Worth a try! but it is not available in pocket version (ie. phone, etc) :uhoh:

ketti
14th Mar 2011, 04:29
my vote is for Logten pro ...

aviatorhi
14th Mar 2011, 07:26
I use logshare, online, some don't like the fact that it's 50US/year but the weather services that come with it come in handy from time to time and I don't mind the minor expense considering it's available anywhere and no "real" risk of losing the record (theres a function to backup as a file on your pc which I put on a flash disk once a month), also keep my Jepp logbook up to date.

b737NGyyc
14th Mar 2011, 19:14
I have been using LogTen Pro since version 3 (now on version 5) and find it a very complete and usable electronic log book. It is not cheap ($99 for the desktop software and $40 each for the mobile apps) but I believe it is worth every penny. Coradine offers a trial version of the desktop software, limited to 40 hours of flying but it will give you an idea of what the software is capable of.

I have the iPhone and iPad versions also and find them great while on the road. Syncing between the mobile versions and the desktop version is quick and painless and is performed wirelessly.

Like all software it has some issues, usually associated with a major upgrade, but the software support team at Coradine are very responsive and helpful and major issues once identified get fixed promptly.

When I decided to go to an electronic log book I too was not thrilled by the prospect of transferring some 13,000 hours from my paper logbooks so I decided on the bulk aircraft entry idea. I did this for each aircraft type I flew and while it did take some time to sort through the data I did end up with a total time that was reasonably accurate. Over time I grew to dislike the generalizations I had to make in order to make the bulk entries work (not logging individuals I had flown with, no accurate destination info, bulk night and instrument times etc)

Since then (over a year ago) I have been slowly replacing the bulk entries with accurate daily entries. Yes it has taken a long time and is not yet complete but I am much happier with the results. I usually try to make use of my time sitting in hotel rooms on the road to do the data entry and make a point of trying to do at least 2 months worth of entries at a sitting.

Hope that helps, good luck with your decision.

BusDriverLHR
16th Mar 2011, 04:05
Plus 1 vote for LogTen Pro.

If you do decide to transfer your existing paper logbook to an electronic format (on a light by flight basis), a numerical keypad speeds up the process vastly. Some desktop PCs have them but if not, or you're using a laptop, you can pick up a USB keypad on amazon for less than a tenner.

fly.net
6th Jun 2011, 21:27
I'm using mccPILOTLOG, very nice software. Excellent helpdesk service. Waiting for the Android app.

Flying Wild
6th Jun 2011, 22:21
I'll add a recommendation for MCC Pilotlog. The guys are very receptive to requests for new functionality and respond quickly to any questions/problems.
They didn't have my airline interface initially, but a quick e-mail and a couple of days later the program was updated to allow me to download flight data.
Likewise, I wanted to be able to print in my logbook format, so sent them a scan with dimensions and the next update had my logbook format included.

Looking forward to the Android app which is due in the next couple of months.

mapkyca
13th Apr 2012, 18:57
... hi, hope you don't mind me shilling my wares on an old thread, but I've been working on a little side project to scratch an itch and I'd really love some feedback on it:

Download Latest Version | NPPL Pilot's Logbook (http://nppllogbook.com/download/)

It's an early version, but I'm hoping with your feedback to make it the best electronic logbook software available (certainly, more up to date than many!)

Hope to hear back soon!

Fil
17th Apr 2012, 10:55
Another vote for MCC. Like the free upgrades.

Cagedh
17th Apr 2012, 13:29
mccPILOTLOG (http://www.mccpilotlog.net/images/mccpl_screenshot1.png)!

All the features you need, no annual fee, free upgrades and great helpdesk support. And just 39 € ONCE for the PRO version (unlimited license)

And you can try/use the standard edition for free. :ok:

fly.net
21st Jul 2012, 00:51
Hello mapkyca,

I have downloaded your logbook to give it a try. I did not pay for the registered license, not sure if that unlocks any additional functions.

I could not find any airfields in the database, are these to be entered manually ? Do you track any currencies, certificates and flight hours limits ?
Are you planning any mobile app for Android or iPhone ?

Allow me to say that you still have a long way to go to become [the best electronic logbook software available (certainly, more up to date than many!)] as you say. In its current form, most logbook softwares out there (including freeware) offer many more functions, but you stated this is only an early version, that sounds fair.

Currently Coradine Aviation - LogTen Pro Pilot Logbook for Mac (http://coradine.com/logten-pro/) (for Mac + iPhone/iPad) and mccPILOTLOG (http://www.mccpilotlog.net/main.html) (for PC + iPhone/iPad + Android) are probably the best value for money.

I run Mcc Pilotlog on my Android. :ok:

John Farley
21st Jul 2012, 19:32
When I was growing up in the aeroplane business a log book was just that. Not a software file. Also given the status and importance of such a book you completed it with a fountain pen and never a biro. Such behaviour was just part of personal and professional standards and showing a proper respect for aviation. Hey ho.

pg wing tips
21st Jul 2012, 19:48
I would grant that there is something real about a paper, well written, well filled out professional logbook. I am guilty of not doing so in the past, I guess as no one cared to look at it or give it any credence. I have changed that now and fill it out as something that should be representative of myself and my profession, however disillusioned I might me with it....

John Farley
22nd Jul 2012, 18:30
That makes two of us - well done!

captain2captain
22nd Jul 2012, 19:10
mcc pilot log downloads stright from aims. as i get home click download it goes to aims and fills in my logbook, totals everything , even gives me sector pay, time limit ect.

Matey
23rd Jul 2012, 08:23
For Windows folk I have used SkyLog Pro for years (Skylog - More Information (http://www.skylogservices.co.uk)).
There is an app for your IPhone/Pad which allows you to record your flights on the go with a very straightforward sync process to a windows computer once home.

Altimeters
24th Jul 2012, 09:39
I'm thinking about getting an app for my logbook. However I do multiple sectors per day (sometimes 8!) and I'm just wondering how easy it is to fill in a multiple sector day with the total day's flying at the end, without the need to put in how many hours each sector was. :ok:

Capt Claret
24th Jul 2012, 09:57
However I do multiple sectors per day (sometimes 8!) and I'm just wondering how easy it is to fill in a multiple sector day with the total day's flying at the end, without the need to put in how many hours each sector was.

With LogTen Pro, it's a piece of p!ss. :ok:

I log, start time local, finish time local, route (eg CNS AYQ ASP DRW ASP ADL MEL) and program calculates distance, total flight time, night flight, IF flight.

DrPepper
24th Jul 2012, 12:41
an easy quest,
the e-logbook is it legal (JAR)? or i need to keep and bring with me a paper one anyway?

i'd like to go on e-logbook only, is it possible?

Capn Bloggs
24th Jul 2012, 13:18
CNS AYQ ASP DRW ASP ADL MEL
When are you going to start working for a living, Claret?! :}

CargoMatatu
24th Jul 2012, 14:38
Following on from the discussion, does anyone know of an e-logbook suitable for "other" (non-pilot) crew?

I logged all my time flying as a Loadmaster, although it was never required, and would like to transpose from my paper logbooks to a simple e-logbook.

amirfasihi
13th May 2013, 14:39
Go for log ten Pro
brilliant

Capt Claret
13th May 2013, 22:33
CargoMatatu

X2 for LogTen Pro. You'll need a Mac and/or iDevice though as it won't run on windoze or android. Apple only.

Teldorserious
13th May 2013, 22:42
I was in to Logbook Pro about 10 years ago. Works for me, but that said, after hearing people talk about E-logbooks for years it seems there are only two factors that seem relevent.

1- What you need. I wanted accuracy, portability, regurgitation of relevent experience with ease.

2- What the other guy needs from you. The best E-logbook in the world does you no good if the chief pilot at some airline want's old school paper and leather and hand scribbled entries.

All that said, if you have the job, and are done having to present your log book to the other guy for his personal stamp of approval, E-logs are the way to go IMHO. Just thinking about this it kind of pisses me off that anyone would actually question my experience and dig through my logs. Just an observation. I mean how many people these day are really, really, hiring experience? Seems more a perfunctory perusal then anything these days.

autoflight
14th May 2013, 00:16
I also wrote my own logging program nearly 20 years ago, with alerts when approaching FTLs. Moving around on contract work meant that yearly, and other limitations always varied in the new country. Since it was my own work, it was easy to adjust the alerts.

Having every minute of availability accessible meant that sometimes it was possible to offer a rostering solution that enabled a flight to operate. The immediate downside for my company was knowing when I could not operate. As soon as the flight roster was issued, my scheduled flight times were entered. Following each flying day, the times were adjusted to actual, giving adjusted forecast FTL margins. I just could not imagine doing all that manually!

Normally admin and joining procedures on a new contract mean there is a delay before flying commences and FTLs calculations effectively can also start fresh, but not in every case. Never had a company ask for last 365 days of flight times to track FTL compliance. Finally it is up to each pilot.

I expect the best of the e logbooks would now track FTLs and that rostering would also treat such matters much more seriously.

webby_crx
12th Dec 2013, 16:47
This might seem like a silly question but do you have to pay for every separate App? If I want LogTen Pro for my Macbook, Ipad, and Iphone do I have to buy each version?

Denti
14th Dec 2013, 11:52
In a way, yes. The universal iOS app covers both the iPad and iPhone, but you need to pay for the mac application as well.

John Citizen
23rd May 2014, 00:07
Can anyone recommend a good electronic logbook ?

Particularly one which can import your actual flight time from your roster. (using roster buster I think)

I have come across 2 different types.

Logten Pro or Logbook Pro ? Anyone had experience with either ? Pros ? Cons ?

I have both an Ipad and a non-Mac desktop.

Thanks.

Denti
23rd May 2014, 10:56
Logten Pro is nice for a pure apple environment, but it doesn't work on normal PCs or android stuff. I hear that MCC Pilotlog is quite good, but never tested it as logten works for me. I'm sure there are quite a few more solutions out there, a quick google or search around these fora might give some pointers.

Flying Wild
23rd May 2014, 19:59
MCC Pilotlog has an iPad app and a PC application. It can sync with your airlines roster portal to download post flight times.

They are currently working on a universal application which will work for Mac and PC. Also works on Android and Windows Mobile.

mateusz
19th Aug 2016, 07:59
Hi,
I am really struggling to find information about whether LogTen Pro + printing and signing each page would be accepted by the IAA. PICUS would be countersigned in the app which has a feature for this. Anyone know their stance?

Thanks

FerrisBueller
19th Aug 2016, 21:57
The IAA will not accept electronic logbooks to the best of my knowledge! :cool:

Tom!
21st Aug 2016, 12:18
First question they asked me when I applied for my atpl at the counter. "Is everything original and countersigned?"

mateusz
21st Aug 2016, 19:21
First question they asked me when I applied for my atpl at the counter. "Is everything original and countersigned?"

When was that please?

mateusz
22nd Aug 2016, 11:05
Straight from the horses mouth:

"We do not accept electronic signatures. But if it suits once you have collected 250 hrs P1(US) time countersigned by your Captains in your logbook then you can continue with your electronic logbook. When you then apply for the ATPL licence you can produce both types of logbooks to us."

Alloy
22nd Feb 2019, 20:49
I’ve been using LogTen Pro for years but have got fed up with the exorbitant annual fees and don’t use most of it’s features. I’m purely Mac/iOS based and fly multi crew long haul. Any recommendations as an alternative please?

ArrowFly
23rd Feb 2019, 06:21
I‘m using mccPILOTLOG for a couple of years now. There is a bit of a learning curve, but after that it suits well.

Alloy
23rd Feb 2019, 06:35
Thanks ArrowFly, I briefly looked at mccPILOTLOG but gathered it required a Windows based PC, or Parallels or the likes if used with a Mac (that I don’t want to get into), I’ll have another look.

Banana Joe
24th Feb 2019, 10:12
They also have a Mac version.

B737900er
25th Feb 2019, 09:30
I use the mac version and Ipad/Iphone app.

Alloy
25th Feb 2019, 11:06
Thanks, I’ll have another look.

MCDU2
25th Feb 2019, 19:08
If you use one of the main rostering systems such as AIMS/ecrew (they support others) then you don't actually need to bother keeping track each leg with an app on your phone although they do have one for both IOS and Android. The PC/Mac based application takes your airlines rostering log on details and you can download all of the historical flight details whenever it suits - reg, a/c type, block times plus it will calculate day/night. All you would need to do is to edit the flights to keep track of landings, approaches, P1/P2, PF/PM, remarks etc. There are various print format options if you want a hard copy.

Papa_Kilo
9th May 2019, 21:32
If you are considering MCC Pilot Log, here’s my experience:

I purchased MCC Pilot Log Enterprise Edition (Lifetime) 5 months ago because I had heard good reviews and the company’s web site pitched how there were no subscription fees. It cost me about $81.09 after the EUR conversion. The MCC Pilot Log web site states “We do not run a subscription plan. We have 3 editions with one-time fee for life-time use. The basic STD Edition is even FREE.”

During these 5 months I used the software, but suddenly the airline interface stopped working. I went to the support page to log a support ticket and was greeted with the following message:

“IMPORTANT NOTE : 10 years after the first release, and 2600 changes and fixes later, it was time to rebuild mccPILOTLOG on new fundaments.

mccPILOTLOG is still available to existing customers. New customers can still purchase mccPILOTLOG, if they want. However, we are no longer updating mccPILOTLOG. Instead, the team is focusing on the new logbook. We recommend all pilots to migrate to our new app CrewLounge PILOTLOG !”

After my initial disbelief and further investigation I found the FAQ page for people like me who had just purchased what was sold as a lifetime license. Below is an excerpt from the company’s FAQ page:

” I paid for mccPILOTLOG, do I have to pay again ?

We keep our word : your license for mccPILOTLOG remains valid ! You have paid for a lifetime use of mccPILOTLOG, so you can continue to using mccPILOTLOG as long as you want. We do not terminate mccPILOTLOG, your logbook continues to run. We do not terminate support, you continue to receiving the same support as before.

We only terminate further updating and bug fixing. Our team is now focusing on the CrewLounge AERO Suite, a completely new platform created with the latest coding technologies and security protocols. CrewLounge PILOTLOG, as part of the CrewLounge AERO Suite, is the new pilot logbook to replace mccPILOTLOG. CrewLounge PILOTLOG is subscription based, we do no longer offer one-time payments.

We invite all pilots with a lifetime license for mccPILOTLOG to migrate and enjoy the new CrewLounge AERO Suite ! We certainly understand that you are reluctant to switching to a subscription plan. We have GOOD news for you : You don’t !

Contrary to our competitors, that either ceased to exist, or that canceled all license keys and forced users into a subscription plan, we offer grandfathering rights to all users of mccPILOTLOG ! You can now migrate your lifetime license from mccPILOTLOG to CrewLounge PILOTLOG with a one-time contribution ! Buy 3 years and get Lifetime ! No subscription, no extra charges ! We will also pay the VAT for you !

That’s true ! All pilots with a lifetime license for mccPILOTLOG can now transfer their license to the new CrewLounge PILOTLOG application and be excluded from subscriptions, for lifetime! This offer is limited in time !

As a bonus, you receive a free 1-year license for the popular calendar app CrewLounge CONNECT (value 12.00 EUR) ! And, as an extra bonus, all PRO users (mccPILOTLOG) can now free upgrade to ENT (CrewLounge PILOTLOG) without being charged extra !

So, here is our offer :

purchase 3 years of the new CrewLounge PILOTLOG software (*)
get 10% immediate discount (for 3-year orders)
get another 20% discount (that is, we will pay the VAT applicable to your country)
transfer your Lifetime license to CrewLounge PILOTLOG (be excluded from subscriptions)
upgrade to a higher Edition ENT or the new ENT+ (even if you are on PRO today)
get 1 year free use of our popular roster app CrewLounge CONNECT

This is a temporary offer, we hold the right to terminate this offer at any time !

(*) Pilots that purchased mccPILOTLOG in 2019, can upgrade with paying only 1-year subscription to CrewLounge AERO.”

Essentially, the lifetime software I just purchased will not be updated any more. Therefore, the airline interface will not be fixed. In other words, my software is now useless to me.

But wait, I checked out their upgrade offer and found that I will need to pay for 3 years up front to get the lifetime subscription that I already paid for 5 months ago. The price is 2.99 EUR/month or about $3.35/month as of today. A total of about $120.00. Believe it or not, I actually considered just paying the money and moving on with my life. So I downloaded the trial version of the new CrewLounge Pilot Log, imported my data and tried to download my schedule with the airline interface. Of course – it doesn’t work.

Overall, my experience with this company is extremely negative. I would not recommend MCC Pilot Log or CrewLounge Pilot Log. You will be disappointed and will end up having to pay for a real logbook program from a reputable company. Good luck folks. Learning is a change in behavior as a result of experience.

Also, attached is a copy of the ridiculous .pdf they sent me asking to take a "journey" with them. essentially they want me to "take one for their team"

Cagedh
10th May 2019, 07:07
:ugh: :bored: :\ :ugh:
Highly disgusted!

ramster211
7th Sep 2019, 11:36
Hi there,
So i am woundering if anyone has any recomendations regarding electronic logbooks? There are a lot to choose from out there, so i am woundering what to choose! :}

Intruder
7th Sep 2019, 14:16
Put together your own spreadsheet, and you can have exactly what you want...

ramster211
7th Sep 2019, 14:29
Thats not really what i asked for is it...

I want an electronic logbook for ease of access and the saftey of having it in a cloud sould something happen.

B737900er
7th Sep 2019, 17:37
There are the two big ones LOGTEN X or PILOT LOG

I use Crew Lounge PILOT LOG which was formally known as MCC pilot log. It has both IOS and Android capability and works with both MAC and windows, with the added bonus of Cloud saves.

Intruder
7th Sep 2019, 17:48
Thats not really what i asked for is it...

I want an electronic logbook for ease of access and the saftey of having it in a cloud sould something happen.
Actually, it IS one version of what you asked for. Commercial logbook programs are either spreadsheets or databases. You can brew your own of either one. If you want it in the cloud, open a Dropbox or Drive or Live account, and have both local and remote copies.

I made my own, and it was the best FOR ME for 20+ years!

FlyingH1gh
29th Feb 2024, 09:01
Hi all, not sure this is the right place although hopefully fits in to "items that may be of interest to professional pilots".

Electronic logbooks - I've been using mccPilotlog for many years, and more recently I've switched to their newer version, PilotLog... However, they are DREADFUL! The system simply doesnt work so I want to switch ASAP.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a better electronic logbook please? My background - airline pilot c20years.

Thanks in advance!

PA38-Pilot
29th Feb 2024, 10:14
I've been using LogTenPro for a few years - no complaints.

planedrive
29th Feb 2024, 12:54
I've been using an app called Wader for about the last year now. Seamless import from an excel spreadsheet and easy to use on the move. Best of all, it's free! Apparently it was developed by a pilot for one of the middle eastern airlines. It does have a 'social media' element to it but it's very easy to turn that all off and just use it as a great free online logbook/app.