PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific culture

Scanorama
10th Dec 2010, 22:09
Hi, a friend of mine is doing an assignment on corporate culture and she has chosen to do it on Cathay Pacific.

She is after people who has worked or is working for Cathay Pacific to help her to answer some questions. If you or know anyone who would be able to answer some of the questions, please let me know via PM if I can pass on your contact details to her.

Here are the questions:
- culture and sub-culture of Cathay Pacific
- any established rituals or routines (e.g. sales meetings, annual kickoff meetings, competitions...) that cultivate the Cathay Pacific spirit
- organisation structure
- operational principles / guidelines that support the culture development
- power structure (formal and informal)Thanks in advance :)

Bograt
10th Dec 2010, 22:16
The Cathay Pilots Union Home Page (http://www.cathaypilotsunion.org/)

Bograt
10th Dec 2010, 22:19
Perjury probe on Cathay execs over 49ers trial - The Standard (http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=30&art_id=95580&sid=27343666&con_type=1)

Bograt
10th Dec 2010, 22:21
Cathay Pacific Pilots on the Brink (http://www.alpa.org/portals/alpa/magazine/2002/MJ2002_CathayPacificPilots.htm)

Google is your friend.

Mr. Bloggs
11th Dec 2010, 00:42
Along with the above, there is a blame culture for the Cockpit/Cabin crew. :=

The Management culture is a culture of non-accountability. :yuk:

Any questions? :ok:

I will PM you may name and contact info, would you like my ERN number as well?:}

asianeagle
11th Dec 2010, 01:04
Read the DFO comments in this weeks update. We are about to get shafted again!:(

Captain Dart
11th Dec 2010, 02:36
The purported US airline document alluded to, of marginal relevance to Cathay Pacific crew, was also trotted out in the late nineties by the then DFO, K.B. It must be solemnly handed down from DFO to DFO, enclosed in a folder marked, 'Own Pilots, Justification for the Shafting Of'.

After the K.B. airing of this drivel, the company lurched from one industrial and P.R. disaster to the next. The 49ers action is STILL going on over a decade later.

Hysterical references to car salesmen and 'public perception' of his pilots also contribute to a very entertaining read each week!

Yonosoy Marinero
11th Dec 2010, 02:44
You could add "Utter contempt and disdain for employees" to that list.

A study of the Politburo propaganda techniques in Beijing would also be useful in comparing the two entities.

But then what do we know? We're the bad guys who give the company a bad name from the dizzying heights of our overly benevolent incremental salary scales which also suddenly became generous payrises every year.

cxorcist
11th Dec 2010, 02:51
I think they are about to "get shafted" - perhaps for the first time.

bm330
11th Dec 2010, 04:19
A cynic would think NR saw the writing on the wall and moved on before we find out what happens to a DFO that cant keep a schedule together. Does his bonus get docked for every flight that gets cancelled? .... perhaps it'll get used to pay all the overtime that will be needed to cover the lack of adequate crew.

pill
11th Dec 2010, 06:18
The cockpit has a culture of "eating it's own young", which is down right pleasant compaired to the "culture" the DFO is feeding the pilots at present.

MrClaus
11th Dec 2010, 08:15
You all forget your audience. Look at the questions. This isn't a starry eyed cadet wanting to join the company. These are hard nosed management questions. They suggest a questioner that is quite aware that units of labour need to be screwed down to make a profit. You will get no sympathy.The 'friend' just wants to know how Cathay does it to compare it to other methods. Its all about share holder return and management bonuses.

11th Dec 2010, 11:30
We do have a culture at Cathay??

Yonosoy Marinero
12th Dec 2010, 02:09
Well, Santa...

The poster's friend is then likely to find out from this forum that CX's method of 'screwing down labour costs' is indeed quite effective and succesful.

But then he didn't need to start a new thread to know that...

airplaneridesrfun
12th Dec 2010, 03:06
He is taking an organizational behaviour class I presume; one of the least useful in any management/business degree program. I'm sure he will see how well it works over the coming year, unless CX agrees to 34% pay rise for pilots. I wonder what the increase in ticket price has and will be over the same period that CX pilots are asking and expecting 34%? I'm assuming more than 34%. Inflation's is a double edged sword so they say.

Rook
12th Dec 2010, 03:27
Cathay has the worst corporate culture I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I include working sh!t jobs as a kid.

Capt Toss Parker
12th Dec 2010, 06:54
This about sums it up ...

YouTube - Captain Toss Parker and Dick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vk0gr03RGI)

moosp
12th Dec 2010, 12:12
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Oh alright, just a tidbit then. CX culture in three words? Oderint dum metuant.

pasa001
14th Dec 2010, 02:17
Oderint dum metuant="let them hate so long as they fear!"

moosp
14th Dec 2010, 14:48
Yes Pasa we found the Google link too. More interesting is the character whose maxim it was, and his similarity to certain management styles at CX.

I hope this thread gives some fodder for the academic study. Over the years HKUST BBA and MBA students, to my knowledge, have used CX as a case study of management practices. Some have analyzed well, but most are very critical of the power and control structure of a paternalistic management structure.

You'll need a student card to get into the library to source the dissertations but if you are serious, some of them make disturbing reading.