PDA

View Full Version : CASA vs JAA which way to go

gunner b 1
25th Apr 2001, 10:56
I have some decisions to make and would appreciate any advice anyone may have. I am soon returning to school to take my A levels in the hope of getting into the RAF. The thing is I have the chance when I finish the A levels of getting a student Visa for Australia (which would also mean I can work 20hrs a week) to study for a commercial pilots licence. I know I will need to convert it when I get back to the UK but I believe I will still come out on top. I am in the fortunate position that the course would be paid for and I have friends in Oz who I can stay with. I would be in Perth at Jandakot airport. Can anybody Advise me whether I should hang out for the RAF as I've heard they don't like to take anyone with more thal a PPL. Or if not can anyone suggest a flying school at Jandakot and will it work out better taking a CASA licence and converting or should I bite the bullet and do it all in england?

------------------
gunner b 1

Call the tower
25th Apr 2001, 17:37
G'day mate,

Here's my "Two Cents Worth"

Firstly to obtain a CPL/IR at Jandakot(YPJT) will cost you in the region of AUD$39000-41000 depending on person/attitude/skill level. Sure some schools will offer you a cheaper rate....they are kidding you!

Some schools offer 150hour integrated CPL courses some with Multi CIR included in that (quite a demmanding course!)

If you come over to AUS YPJT to do your training with the ultimate goal of flying in the UK for an airline then this could be a long road for you (might work out slightly cheaper MAYBE)

Basically you will have to complete your CPL/CIR multi endorsement. Might be wise to do your ATPL theory subects aswell.
This will cost you AUD$39000-41000 as said before. Might be more might be less.
After this is done you will have to hunt for a job in general aviation (GA) to gain some expierence... This could prove ALOT HARDER than actually gaining the qualifications.

Once you have a certain amount of hours you will have to go over to the UK DO ALL YOUR ATPL theory subects according to JAR ops, a commercial flight/IR test all to the cost of STG 10 000! This on top of your CPL/CIR costs.

There is no such thing as an MCC course over here....ie you will have no turbine MCC when you go over....Yes you can do a turbine rating here but again this is costly!Around AUD$9000 depending on a/c. they call it a First Officer Rating here!

It could prove difficult to get an airline job in the UK if you don't have some high expierence ie hours on RPT Jet transport.
As you will be applying as DEP not cadet and won't have completed a CAP509 course.

Alternative!

Do a JAR CAP 509 course around STG50 000. No guarentee of a job, I know of people who hunted round for 2 years before obtaining jobs.
OATS and CABAIR may offer you the world "You'll walk straight into the right seat of an airline.....just write us a check!"

The RAF may also be your best shot.!

If you do come over here do you PPL here then convert will cost you around AUD$9000-10000 for the PPL this is alot cheaper than the UK, then convert this to a JAR one (only invloves a short flight test) then to the rest of your traing in UK! ICAO PPL's count towards a JAR licence....CPLS Don't!!! Go figure!

Ultimately the discission is yours and yours alone. Way up all the oportunities/pro's con's....look at www.casa.gov.au (http://www.casa.gov.au) and the UK CAA site (not sure what it is!)

E-mail me [email protected] I am more than happy to give details, contact e-mail, phone numbers of excellent flight schools around YPJT.

The tower

[This message has been edited by Call the tower (edited 25 April 2001).]