PDA

View Full Version : Pilot illness question

Self Loading Freight
13th Dec 2001, 07:57
Hi, all.

I'm writing a short story where one member of a two person flightdeck crew on a bog standard passenger a/c is incapacitated halfway over the Atlantic. I'm interested in what happens when you find yourself alone up front with at least two hours to go before the nearest landing. If there's another commercial pilot without the appropriate type rating deadheading on the flight, what can they do to help?

The story doesn't revolve around the details of the flying, and I'm assuming that the a/c behaves itself, but I'd like to get the protocols right.

Thanks in advance,

R

Wino
13th Dec 2001, 23:11
Depends on how seriously ill the pilot is and in which direction you are flying.

If he just can't get off the toilet or throwing up etc, and you are headed home, many crews would just continue. IF its a heart attack and seconds matter then a diversion would be in order to the nearest medical center. In either case, unless there was an extra crew member of the airline in question deadheading or a provided relief pilot, the remaining pilot would most likely continue himself. Most US airlines however would already have a 3rd pilot on board because flight and duty time limitations would require one the exception being NY or Boston to UK in the summer, then MAYBE there would be only 2 pilots.

I see it as extremely unlikely in any circumstances would a pilot-pax from the another airline be called to the flight deck.

Cheers
Wino

Flap 5
14th Dec 2001, 00:35
Normally SOP's are that a member of the cabin crew would be called forward to assist with the incapacitated pilot. The cabin crew member would then help the remaining pilot by reading checklists and other things that the pilot asks them to do.

It is unlikely that a PA would be made for 'any qualified pilot', as in the movies. That would just frighten all of the passengers (as happens in the movies!).

fantom
14th Dec 2001, 00:46
well,frighten them or not,I would make discreet enquiries all right! even if via HF to base for the ticket details.there is always a bunch of pilots on board. type- ratings do not matter as much as having a second set of eyes - if I have two hours to go. think about it. me old. the strain could be too much and then where would we be? I am only telling you this, you old hack, because someone told me you were ok..... :rolleyes:

Flap 5
14th Dec 2001, 14:40
Not sure who you could be referring to there phantom.

You are right of course. With two or more hours to go it would be sensible to investigate all possibilities without reverting to a PA to the cabin, which is how it is normally depicted in the movies. It is the difference between an average pilot and a good one. The average pilot only uses SOP's. The good pilot uses SOP's and then, with sufficient time, considers all other sensible options.

olivasnooze
15th Dec 2001, 08:25
If the F/O is left.
1)Slow down. More command time.
2)Think about which airport is not so busy, more likely to allow a few circuits.
3)Brush up on asymmetrics, shame to waste circuit time.
4) Adjust seniority number.
5) Borrow hat & jacket.

GlueBall
15th Dec 2001, 20:48
It is every F/O's secret wish for the captain to fall out of his chair. Been there, thought that. :D

scanscanscan
19th Dec 2001, 02:13
Bit difficult to tell sometimes if some are alive or dead !
Best test.. Try to lift his wallet,works every time.