PDA

View Full Version : PIC/US and contersigning by Capt.

WaterMeths
12th Dec 2001, 23:45
I'm just about to send in my logbooks to unfreeze my ATPL, and PIC/US time I believe should be countersigned by the Captain on the flight. Now I'm sure that the Captains I have flown with over the last 20 odd months will not be too happy to have to sit down with me and countersign each flight !! (Yes I know, perhaps I should have been doing this all along !?!?)

Any of you chaps / chapesses been in a similar position ?

Im thinking of asking my Chief Pilot if he could justify the entries in my logbook with a qualifying statement to the effect that the PIC/US time I have logged is reasonable...i.e. The Captains are happy to share sectors on a 50:50 basis.

Any comments would help greatly, thanks. :p

SLT
13th Dec 2001, 02:00
When I unfroze mine, the CAA were completely happy with a countersignature from my Fleet Manager, certifying that all the hours flown with that airline were correct. The requirement to have all P1/us time countersigned disappeared about 3 years ago. The information is contained in a GID, I forget which number. You shouldn't have a problem.

Congrats on thawing it out!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: SLT ]

WaterMeths
14th Dec 2001, 12:51
Thanks SLT

Thats a load off my mind. Yes I got there in the end !!?!!

rolling circle
15th Dec 2001, 12:54
A word of caution - The requirement for PICUS time to be countersigned has not been removed. JAR-FCL 1.080(c)(1)(v), listing those occasions when PIC flight time may be logged, reads:

"A co-pilot acting as pilot-in-command under the supervision of the pilot-in-command on an aeroplane on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aeroplane or as required by JAR-OPS provided such pilot-in-command time under supervision (see (c)(5)) is countersigned by the pilot-in-command."

It is true that the UK CAA have chosen to ignore this particular requirement (as with so many others) but that will not necessarily be the case in other JAA member states. Taking the French attitude to training completed outside the JAA as an example, it is quite possible that other states will refuse to recognise PICUS time that is not countersigned by the PIC.

WaterMeths
20th Dec 2001, 11:18
Noted....thanks