PDA

View Full Version : Hemel FL220?

Imhotep
12th Dec 2001, 01:21
Can anyone reveal why traffic into BHX is put into approach order so early? Last few days we've been given speed control at REFSO (260 kts), the reason given by ATC is that there is one aircraft ahead (5 miles/280 kts) also bound for BHX. Is there no room to overtake? I wonder if it has anything to do with the restriction at HEMEL above. Anyhow I guess it beats the day we were put No.2 to a Saab2000 at LOGAN.

eyeinthesky
12th Dec 2001, 11:44
What you need to appreciate is that you are funnelling into narrowing airspace towards LAM. The restriction which is the most important is FL270 35 miles before LAM which keeps you underneath the London Upper Sector which is too busy to work EGBB/EGNX inbounds. There may be several of you inbound from COA and REFSO, and while we can use parallel headings there is only room for two of you abreast at LAM and you need also to make a large right turn which can be difficult to achieve with both of you side by side.

To answer your question more directly: The distance between REFSO and LAM is approx 90 nm. Assume you are 5 miles behind traffic doing 280 kts and you are doing 300 kts. The catch-up of 20 knots means that you will need 30 mins to get 5 miles in front of him. At 300 kts you will cover 90 miles in 18 mins. Therefore there is not room to overtake before you get to LAM.

Having said all that, to restrict you to 260 kts when you are 5 miles behind traffic doing 280 kts seems a bit daft. Why not 280 as well? I'm afraid that there are quite a few ATCOs who have little appreciation of A/C performance and will ask someone his IAS at FL350 and tell him to maintain that to FL200 and then wonder why he almost stops on the radar!

Hope this helps.

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: eyeinthesky ]

Imhotep
12th Dec 2001, 20:14
Cheers Eye, I can see the problem now. I was working on being about 8 miles ahead of the traffic on transfer to BHX. We'd certainly have to kick in the reheat to clear the traffic by LAM. Personally I'd like to steer well clear of London and come in over the Wash.

eyeinthesky
12th Dec 2001, 23:16
Over the Wash you would certainly need your reheat to keep clear of those fighter jocks we see playing out there on our radars!!