PDA

View Full Version : Applying brake during turn

Bungfai
3rd Dec 2010, 22:43
During a normal 90 degrees turn on wide body aircraft, to slow down ,do you apply only outboard brake to minimize stress on the other side?

EW73
4th Dec 2010, 11:03
My normal is to slow prior to the turn, then use power as required during the turn!

EW73

411A
4th Dec 2010, 13:58
Applying brake during turn

During a normal 90 degrees turn on wide body aircraft, to slow down ,do you apply only outboard brake to minimize stress on the other side?

Not in my airplane, you don't.

OutsideCAS
6th Dec 2010, 16:53
Not in my airplane, you don't.

Hmmmmm.......kinda think Bungfai might be asking that as a question rather than a statement of what he would or would not do, 411A.

Intruder
6th Dec 2010, 17:35
Why would you want to put additional stress on the nosegear and steering mechanism in some feeble and vain attempt to "save" the brakes? I don't understand where some people get these strange ideas!

GlueBall
6th Dec 2010, 22:09
Proper technique is to apply sufficient braking BEFORE the turn, to be typically not more than 10kts in a 90 degree turn, and to use differential power, not differential brakes, to complete the turn. [B747]

Intruder
6th Dec 2010, 22:55
Yes, but the OP's question involves using the OUTBOARD brake, which would work to counter the turn, not aid it...

SNS3Guppy
7th Dec 2010, 04:48
Braking in the turn stresses the nosegear regardless of whether it's inboard or outboard braking. Assymetrical braking stresses it even further.

Brake before the turn, and power through the turn, or roll through the turn. One shouldn't need to be braking in the turn.

Intruder
7th Dec 2010, 05:24
Not necessarily true...

In some cases, especially a slippery/icy runway/taxiway and/or light weight and aft CG, differential braking may be needed to assist the turn AND relieve stress on the nosegear.

SNS3Guppy
7th Dec 2010, 05:28
Differential braking always increases stresses on the nosegear, as does any braking in a turn. That it may be needed at times, particularly for tight turns, isn't in dispute, but even where sideloading may occur from slippage on contaminated surfaces, braking adds an additional dimension which does not ease the load on the gear; it increases that load. This includes symmetrical braking.

fahdak81
10th Dec 2010, 05:30
breaks before turning, an then use powerful to control ur speed

de facto
10th Dec 2010, 09:11
i use ailerons to turn/spoilers to slow down ,anything to save the brakes:suspect:

Flightmech
10th Dec 2010, 10:00
You use ailerons to turn on the ground? Personally I find the yoke has little effect when taxiing:rolleyes:

de facto
11th Dec 2010, 12:51
i was just kidding:E

punkalouver
13th Dec 2010, 14:00
Not necessarily true...

In some cases, especially a slippery/icy runway/taxiway and/or light weight and aft CG, differential braking may be needed to assist the turn.

It may be needed for tight turns on non-contaminated runways as well. At least on some aircraft(check your manuals) where the procedure would be to come to a complete stop, turn the nosewheel, then add power as required while using nosewheel steering and momentary differential braking.

oz in dxb
16th Dec 2010, 11:20
A 180 degree turn on the 777 (espcially the 300 series) will require full steering tiller and more than likely inboard braking to reduce the turning radius. Certainly not the outboard brakes.

Oz