PDA

View Full Version : London FIS - Many thanks!

Mister Geezer
1st Dec 2010, 15:37
Many thanks to the chap on London Information last night who was simply fantastic in getting information on diversion airfields after we found out our destination was SNOCLO. It never ceases to amaze me just how attentive and helpful the FIS boys and girls are and especially in times when we need information quickly. A fantastic facility that is often overlooked by so many commercial pilots nowadays! You would be amazed at the odd looks I have had in the past when saying 'Hang on.. I will go onto Box 2 and call London Information to find out!' Thanks very much for the great service! :ok:

fisbangwollop
1st Dec 2010, 15:56
Nice to hear from someone that appreciates the service, here at Scottish Information I try to tell the commercial guys to come up on 119.875 for any weather or info you need to hear....far better using the info frequency than blocking up a busy radar control frequency. :cool::cool::cool:

Talkdownman
1st Dec 2010, 17:45
That is what it is for.
A pity it is encumbered by pilots seeking traffic information...

Agaricus bisporus
2nd Dec 2010, 10:35
I'd like to add my appreciation to them all too, a wonderful service. I find it astonishing how few commercial pilots even know it exists, let alone use it. I'd guess 80% of our P2s fall into that category so that implies most Captains never use it either.

The facility exists over most of continental Europe too...and when your diversions are neither on Volmet nor have ATIS how else do you check them? Which, combined with the above makes for a worrying conclusion.

Nubboy
2nd Dec 2010, 12:08
Ag b, useful reminder of a neglected service.

Most of our fleet, except our older 320s, now has ACARS which is great for most things and avoids splitting the radios. However a real human being to talk to is a wonderful assett when you need it.:ok:

fisbangwollop
2nd Dec 2010, 19:20
KLM etops calls me every day before setting course over the ocean to check his diversion weathers at BIKF BGSF CYYR.....I like to think my friendly voice is better than the coldness of ACARS :cool::cool::cool:

Ryanair crews also now getting used to calling for any weather's they need, beats listening to all the other crap on the volmet.

Keep the requsts coming guys, its nice to help.:):):)

Scottish Info 119.875mhz.

Mister Geezer
4th Dec 2010, 14:55
Our aircraft has a print out of all the FIS frequencies in Europe.... made by moi! A time consuming process going though each State's AIP but a useful exercise nonetheless, since we can and do go to some rather strange places!

Apoligies to the Fräulein on Langen Info yesterday afternoon.... sounded like I had woken her up! ;)

soaringhigh650
24th Dec 2010, 18:31
A pity it is encumbered by pilots seeking traffic information...

Maybe because ICAO Annex 11 4.2.2 requires Flight Information Service to provide information concerning collision hazards to aircraft operating in airspace Classes C-G...even though that information will sometimes be incomplete.

Conspiracy Theories
25th Dec 2010, 13:53
i completely agree that the FIS is under used with the amount of information at their disposal and very happy to help anyone.
i do try and give all the information needed when airports are snow closed or even the weather but it only tends to be on a night shift when it isn't very busy or quite periods during the day but the professionalism shown by pilots to not ask when the frequency is busy is very helpful, thanks guys.
just remember that the FIS positions in London and Scottish are more that happy to accomodate any requests you may have.

fireflybob
25th Dec 2010, 16:30
Flew with a newbie a few months ago and suggested we got some weather from FIS to which he said "How do I do that - I have never done that before!" - so maybe not covered in basic training, let alone line training?